Import TM in Excel to Studio 2009 TM
Thread poster: Yoko Busk

Yoko Busk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2011

I understood there are ways to export TM in Excel files to TMX, but is there a quicker and easier way to import TM in Excel files to Studio 2009 TM?
Thank you for your help in advance.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:30
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX Mar 7, 2011

Yoko Busk wrote:

I understood there are ways to export TM in Excel files to TMX, but is there a quicker and easier way to import TM in Excel files to Studio 2009 TM?
Thank you for your help in advance.

My quickest way is Excel > Tab delimited Unicode > SDLX TM import > SDLX TMX export > T2009 New TM > TMX import.
Soonthon Lupkitaro

FarkasAndras
Local time: 01:30
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMX maker Mar 7, 2011

This is the third thread on the topic in three of four days.
As I wrote in the previous ones, I recently wrote a proz-hosted article on how to do this.
The "TMX Maker" tool makes the process a bit simpler than going through SDL Edit as suggested by Soonthon: instead of creating a TM, importing and then exporting and deleting the now superfluous TM, you can generate the TMX in a single step (and you also get a bit more control on what goes into the TMX).
That said, I'll add the SDL Edit solution to the article anyway. Some people might prefer it for whatever reason.

[Edited at 2011-03-07 13:02 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 7, 2011

Thank you Soonthon and Farkas for your advice.

Farkas, I have read your article before I posted this topic but wasn't sure the procedure was connected to the use of Studio 2009.
Thank you for your time.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 01:30
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMX Mar 7, 2011

Yoko Busk wrote:

I have read your article before I posted this topic but wasn't sure the procedure was connected to the use of Studio 2009.

Well, blissfully, TMX can now be considered an industry-wide standard. Virtually all CAT tools (icluding all current and recent versions of Trados and SDLX) can import and export TMX, so whenever you want to move a translation memory around, TMX is the default solution.
I hope the article is clear, let me know if you have trouble.

United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Mar 8, 2011

Thank you Farkas for a clear explanation. I just need to brush up my technical knowledge and will try the way you kindly taught me soon. I will let you know if I have any problem during the process. Thanks again for your advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import TM in Excel to Studio 2009 TM

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search