Thread poster: Mutarjim97
Mutarjim97
United States
Local time: 02:50
French to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 7, 2011

Dear Colleagues,
I have been in contact with SDL for a possible upgrade to Studio 2009 from Trados 6.5 and was told that my version is not upgradable. I was appalled! Is anybody familiar with this issue? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:50
English to Polish
This is pre-2006 version Mar 7, 2011

Do you mean you will be simply charged full rate, not the discounted upgrade rate?

AFAIK you can upgrade your existing 2006 and 2007 license to Studio 2009. I guess this is pretty standard situation for the software that only two versions back are entitled to upgrade at discounted rate.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Upgrades are only available for 2 generations back Mar 7, 2011

Yes, we are as this is the standard upgrade policy of SDL Trados. Upgrades are only available for products that are not more than 2 versions back. Version 6.5 was released in 2006. Since then, 2 major versions (SDL Trados 2007 and SDL Trados 2007) have been released.

This is why I recommend to purchase a maintenance and support agreement and upgrade regularly. If you don't do this, you will end up after a few years with a product that is not only unsupported, but also not upgradeable any more.

Walter

mrippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Indeed it is not a convenient option Mar 7, 2011

Upgrade is not even available for owners of Trados 7.0 as of March 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:

This is why I recommend to purchase a maintenance and support agreement and upgrade regularly.

I beg to differ Walter, and I encourage and reccomend everybody to search the web for more reliable and affordable tools, capable of managing more efficiently and for more time the same file formats then the incumbent.

Regards

[Edited at 2011-03-07 17:03 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:50
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I was familiar with this issue. Mar 8, 2011

Onlooker wrote:

Dear Colleagues,
I have been in contact with SDL for a possible upgrade to Studio 2009 from Trados 6.5 and was told that my version is not upgradable. I was appalled! Is anybody familiar with this issue? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

I imagine you are a little bit shocked. Perhaps you changed your email address, but SDL is always sendings its customers emails with product news. I was informed long ago about the discontinuing of upgrade for older products.

Regards

Clarisa

Mutarjim97
United States
Local time: 02:50
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Follow up Mar 8, 2011

Clarissa and others,
Yes indeed I am shocked. I just learned I lost a lot of money since my version (Trados 6.5) is useless. I have to admit I have been careless as I was initially challenged by the software. I guess I have paid a high price for a once in a lifetime mistake! My post was a prelude to my exploring the possibility of purchasing a used Studio 2009 from perhaps an unsatisfied user. I need to use Trados 2009 for professional reasons, but not really necessary. So if there is someone who is willing to sell their license, we can talk. I know there is the option to liberate the user privileges so anther can take advantage of them. You may send me an email from this forum to that effect.

Again many thanks to all the responders.
Best

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A brief comment Mar 8, 2011

Hello everyone,
I know that it must be very disappointing that T6.5 users cannot upgrade to T2009. Now I am not defending anything, but on the other hand, this step had been announced by SDL well before it was actually taken. And to draw a parallel: is it possible to upgrade from Word XP to Word 2010? I guess it is not.

Onlooker wrote:
My post was a prelude to my exploring the possibility of purchasing a used Studio 2009 from perhaps an unsatisfied user. I need to use Trados 2009 for professional reasons, but not really necessary. So if there is someone who is willing to sell their license, we can talk. I know there is the option to liberate the user privileges so anther can take advantage of them.

Is there one? AFAIK, the license is not transferable. Or am I missing something?

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Bad example Mar 8, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

And to draw a parallel: is it possible to upgrade from Word XP to Word 2010? I guess it is not.

Actually, there are no upgrades to Office 2010. At all. (reason: To simplify our Office 2010 product offering, version upgrade suites are no longer available.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Licensing

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search