https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/193756-japanese_characters_not_detected_by_sdl_work_frame_help_needed.html

Japanese characters not detected by SDL work frame - help needed
Thread poster: KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO
KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO
KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 8, 2011

Dear translators,
CAT Tool used: SDL Trados Studio 2009
I've received a japanese file in pdf format. Does Sdl trados studio 2009 handle pdf files? It seems so..
Also converted it in word file, yet once imported no japanese character has been detected by sdl work frame.
any ideas/support very welcome!
Karis I.D.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
PDF gets converted to Word Mar 8, 2011

Yes, Studio can open PDF files directly. However, be aware that it will extract the text into a Word document and you will end up with a Word document after translation.

It is the same process as if you would use your own PDF extraction tool to create a Word document, which you then translate except that you do not need a separate a tool because it is integrated in Studio.

I suggest you set the options to keep the least formatting in order not to get too many formatti
... See more
Yes, Studio can open PDF files directly. However, be aware that it will extract the text into a Word document and you will end up with a Word document after translation.

It is the same process as if you would use your own PDF extraction tool to create a Word document, which you then translate except that you do not need a separate a tool because it is integrated in Studio.

I suggest you set the options to keep the least formatting in order not to get too many formatting tags in your document. It will need to be reformatted after translation anyway.

Walter
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not all PDFs can be converted Mar 8, 2011

I think these options only work if the PDF is something that was created from a word or similar editor, and not a scanned hardcopy.
Scanned hardcopies must be OCR-ed, and there is no guarantee that would work, unless the hardcopy is very clear and has high resolution.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed Mar 8, 2011

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

I think these options only work if the PDF is something that was created from a word or similar editor, and not a scanned hardcopy.
Scanned hardcopies must be OCR-ed, and there is no guarantee that would work, unless the hardcopy is very clear and has high resolution.

Yes, it is indeed so. And more than this, I always recommend running the OCR process in an external application (e.g. ABBYY Fine Reader) and doing some post-processing of the resulting Word document before loading it into Trados to get rid of some unnecessary formatting. I'm quite old-fashioned and I don't like it when computers try to do anything beyond my control.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:40
English to Thai
+ ...
My brief tricks Mar 9, 2011

OCR and PDF > Trados conversion gives us formatting troubles. I add a small step to eliminate this headache: copying and paste back from text editor (e.g. Notepad) to *.doc before reading with Trados. Reformatting in Word consumes less tie than in Trados.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO
KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OCRed Mar 10, 2011

thank you all ,
for your many suggestions!
Indeed the pdf file is partly scanned (badly scanned) . I've tried to OCR it but with poor results due to bad scanning and low resolution.
Beside that, through the process I'm learning a lot. Also learning that clients are often careless about the quality of the document they're asking to translate.
Should you be in shoes, would you think of accepting such assigts?

again thank you !...
See more
thank you all ,
for your many suggestions!
Indeed the pdf file is partly scanned (badly scanned) . I've tried to OCR it but with poor results due to bad scanning and low resolution.
Beside that, through the process I'm learning a lot. Also learning that clients are often careless about the quality of the document they're asking to translate.
Should you be in shoes, would you think of accepting such assigts?

again thank you !
Karis
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese characters not detected by SDL work frame - help needed

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »