Andrew Tooms
France
Local time: 07:37
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2011

Hi all

I'm using a 64-bit Windows 7 system. I installed Trados 2007 some time ago and have been using it with Word 2010 without any problems.
Recently I've started to get problems: curly brackets inserting themselves at the start of target segments, impossible to close segments, impossible to clean files. I have Trados8.dotm in C:\Users\ASUS X42F\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP and two Trados8.dot files: one in D:\Template and one in C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\Templates. Is this the reason for my problems, i.e. several Trados8.dot files?
TIA for your help

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You must have NO Trados8.dot templates at all Mar 8, 2011

In no template location please. Just remove all the instances of Trados8.dot and leave only Trados8.dotm

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Jerzy Mar 8, 2011

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between Trados8.dotm + Trados8.dot?

I ask because I seem to be using the Trados8.dot version, with Word 2010 (32bit installation) on Win7 x64, and it seems to be working, but maybe it's doing something wrong I wasn't aware of.

Michael

[Edited at 2011-03-08 12:43 GMT]

Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Mar 8, 2011

That seems to have done the trick.
Thanks very much.
Bye

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
*.dot = template for Office 2003 and older Mar 8, 2011

*.dotm = macro enabled template for Office 2007 and newer
You cannot expect dot to work properly in Word 2007.
If it works, then you are lucky, but it is not expected to.
The same is for Trados in Word 2010 - while 2007 is still supported, 2010 is not officialy supported and will not be. So if you run into trouble, you are alone - no official suport for that anymore, just a few coleagues who succeeded in getting that combination to work.

Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 with Word 2010 doesn't process auto lists Mar 8, 2011

I'm still having problems - Trados 2007 doesn't seem to process automatic lists properly in Word 2010 (the documents I translated previously didn't contain such lists).
When I try to close the segments for the second item in an automatic list Trados says the mark for ending a TU is missing or damaged; in fact it creates another item in the list, before the first item, which is empty except for a mark opening a TU. There is no closing mark and so Trados goes haywire.

Is there any way around this?

TIA for any help.
Bye

Heiko Franz  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to German
Trados 2007 and curly brackets a constant problem Mar 8, 2011

When switching to Win 7 32 bit and Word 2010 a few months ago, Trados worked fine only with some documents. But right from the beginning, I got these curly brackets and always had to repair the document before being able to continue translating. Also, some documents could not be cleaned by using Workbench's clean-up function. So I had to turn to the makro clean-up way. So far, I didn't see any connection between the curly brackets and the failure to properly clean up and create a ttx-file. I would suggest that you update to Trados 2009 because, as Jerzy suggested, Trados and Word 2010 seems to reserved for the lucky and the experts. Up until yesterday, I didn't realize that the update is free for those having purchased a Trados 2007 freelance license. So this would pretty much help you work around this problem.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word 2010 is not supported Mar 8, 2011

Change to Studio - this is the only way.
Word 2010 is not supported by Trados 2007 and no support for it is to be expected.
The Word-Trados interface is a dead end, you really have to think about something more up to date.

Andrew Tooms
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2009 Mar 9, 2011

Thanks for your comments. I guess you're both right. In fact I did download Trados Studio a few months ago and tried it out but I was put off by the new interface, which is very different from Workbench. Now it looks like I don't have much choice.

Bye

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word 2010 and hateful Trados 2007 Mar 9, 2011

Hi Andy,

I've slowly realised in the last few days that Word 2010 and Trados 2007 don't mix. Can't get those frigging templates organised to produce the Trados tab in Word, even.

I hate Trados 2007, I always have done, and would ditch it quicker than a big dead dog if I could, but can't for certain jobs, so I have to use the back-up PC for those, which still has Word 2007.

But don't knock Studio. Go for it. Really. There's hardly anything to learn, no messing about with clean-ups or all the rotten things Trados 2007 does, all those daft messages or the way it self-cripples helplessly at a couple of bullets in the text or a table.

All you do is read the manual, open the file, choose your languages, stick it in, translate, confirm, copy, finish, export to destination (or whatever it says in zee Eeengleesh) for a Word version, and Bob's your uncle.

Best,

Mervyn

Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 08:37
English to Swedish
+ ...
Autolist Mar 9, 2011

"Trados 2007 with Word 2010 doesn't process auto lists 8 Mar

I'm still having problems - Trados 2007 doesn't seem to process automatic lists properly in Word 2010 (the documents I translated previously didn't contain such lists).
When I try to close the segments for the second item in an automatic list Trados says the mark for ending a TU is missing or damaged; in fact it creates another item in the list, before the first item, which is empty except for a mark opening a TU. There is no closing mark and so Trados goes haywire.

Is there any way around this?"

I just ran in to that one my self righ now I am dowing this
for numered or lettered ones I take away the autlist and reformat so the text looks the same

for the others (seem to produce extra tags in the begnig) I remove the extra tag

So yeah this combo is a tad complicated

Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 08:37
English to Swedish
+ ...
Templates Mar 10, 2011

I actually put both the .dot and the .dotm template in the start up folder. All key board short cuts functionned but I was not able to use the "click ones" in word. Yesterday I removed the .dot template just to see and to my surprise this now functions with no problems!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Big probs with Trados 2007 on Word 2010

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search