SDL Trados 2009 Starter
Thread poster: Ricardo Gouveia

Ricardo Gouveia  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 8, 2011

Hello everyone,
During my degree on Translation I had a subject in which I learned the basics of Wordfast and SDL Trados 2009. I feel I have reached a step in my career in which it might be interesting and helpful to use a CAT tool for quality, consistency and productivity reasons, also because I have a personal preference for software localization projects.
Last project, which I finished yesterday, I had a great help from the demo version of Wordfast Classic - which I find very interesting and productive.
However, since it would be better if I really purchased a complete CAT tool license, I feel divided between Wordfast and SDL Trados.

Now, considering my age, my career and my budget so far, I wouldn't like to invest too much. That's how I found SDL Trados 2009 Starter, for a very interesting price: 99€, which made me rise an eyebrow.
It is indeed very cheap and probably is very basic and I would eventually regret it; on the other hand, most projects posted on ProZ regarding Localization (and many others) request SDL Trados, and feel it would be a good help on having more jobs awarded and doing software/IT localization projects.

Considering these, I have a couple of questions:
- Should I go with SDL Trados Starter, save a bit more and go for Wordfast, or wait more and save enough to group buy SDL Trados Freelance?
- How good is SDL Trados Starter?

Thank you very much. n_n

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:48
English
30 Day Trial Mar 8, 2011

Dear Ricardo Gouveia

If you want to have a closer look first into the new SDL Trados Studio 2009 version you can download the installer for SDL Trados 2009. It includes a 30 day professional trial license.

Here is the link:
ftp://downloadcentre.sdl.com/T2009/SP3/SDLTradosStudio2009_SP3_2229.exe

Surely there are many differences between a Professional Edition and a Starter Edition. An overview of the differences between the versions can be seen on our homepage here: http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-studio-2009-starter/#tab2

Afterwards you can go on as you wish, either buying the SDL Trados Studio Starter Edition for 99€ and use this and after some time see if you want/need more and upgrade then to the Freelance or Professional Edition.

At the end you decide yourself what is best but maybe the trial and/or investigate 99€ and work with a Translation tool should be worth trying it out.

Maybe this helps.

Regards
Richard

[Edited at 2011-03-08 16:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 Starter

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search