JLLTranslation
JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:41
French to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2011

Hi,

I have 3 .xls files that I need to translate using Trados 2007.

They have 4 columns:
- an ID
- the source language
- a reference column that doesn't need to be translated and in fact contains nothing useful to me
- the target language

So I'm not interested in columns 1 or 3 but need to ensure that when I finish, they all fit back together correctly.

I have been given no translation memory so I have created a new one
... See more
Hi,

I have 3 .xls files that I need to translate using Trados 2007.

They have 4 columns:
- an ID
- the source language
- a reference column that doesn't need to be translated and in fact contains nothing useful to me
- the target language

So I'm not interested in columns 1 or 3 but need to ensure that when I finish, they all fit back together correctly.

I have been given no translation memory so I have created a new one in Translator's workbench.

I don't usually create my own files but this PM (who I haven't worked with before and would like to be nice to!!!!!) has asked me to and I'd like to try before I just go back and say no. Can anyone tell me how I create my Trados files please?

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:41
English to Thai
+ ...
My job Mar 9, 2011

My job could have come from you client as well. I just opened a blank Excel file and copied only the required [entire] column and translated. I go back to original file and paste by selecting the column. Everything was without errors.

Alternatively, I copied all the Excel file and pasted to Word. Set hidden fonts to column without translation requirement. Set the target Word files with all non hidden fonts. The resulting Excel file was OK [I copied the cells to column for target texts
... See more
My job could have come from you client as well. I just opened a blank Excel file and copied only the required [entire] column and translated. I go back to original file and paste by selecting the column. Everything was without errors.

Alternatively, I copied all the Excel file and pasted to Word. Set hidden fonts to column without translation requirement. Set the target Word files with all non hidden fonts. The resulting Excel file was OK [I copied the cells to column for target texts in Excel file before copy all to Word].

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:41
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
New spreadsheet + TagEditor Mar 9, 2011

Here's how I would do it:

1) Create a blank translation memory that has the appropriate source language and target language.

2) For each of the three source files, create a blank spreadsheet and paste in the two columns you want to translate. Save it.

3) Translate this new file using Trados TagEditor.

4) When the translation is done, export the target-language spreadsheet from TagEditor. Open this file.

5) Make and open a copy of t
... See more
Here's how I would do it:

1) Create a blank translation memory that has the appropriate source language and target language.

2) For each of the three source files, create a blank spreadsheet and paste in the two columns you want to translate. Save it.

3) Translate this new file using Trados TagEditor.

4) When the translation is done, export the target-language spreadsheet from TagEditor. Open this file.

5) Make and open a copy of the original, 4-column source spreadsheet.

6) Copy and paste the two translated columns into the 4-column spreadsheet.

[Edited at 2011-03-09 15:16 GMT]
Collapse

JLLTranslation
JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:41
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 9, 2011

Hi,
Thanks so much, that's very helpful.
I was just stuck and feeling rather stupid at not being able to get my head round doing it. I was hoping there would be a clever 'Trados' way to do it but evidently I just have to do some jiggery pokery!
Many thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating Trados 2007 files from Excel files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »