Converting XML file into TTX - help needed
Thread poster: Farzad Akmali

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Mar 9, 2011

Dear friends,

I have to work on an XML file, I tried to open it in Tageditor, but all in vain. Please let me know how I can solve the problem, I have to send back the translation prompltly.

Thanks so much in advance.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:02
English to Czech
+ ...
Create an INI file first Mar 9, 2011

Hello Farzad,
you need to create an INI file first. This INI file will tell TagEditor which content in the XML file is translatable and which isn't.
This process may be very simple but also quite complicated, so there is no universal process description. I therefore suggest that you read the documentation supplied with T2007.

+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The INI file is also provided! Mar 9, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hello Farzad,
you need to create an INI file first. This INI file will tell TagEditor which content in the XML file is translatable and which isn't.
This process may be very simple but also quite complicated, so there is no universal process description. I therefore suggest that you read the documentation supplied with T2007.

Hi Stanislav,

Many thanks. The client has provided the INI file, but when I open it, this error appears:

"The DOCTYPE declarations/root elements from the document and the currently selected tag settings file do not match. Would you like to use this setting file anyway?"

What do you advise please?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quite simple Mar 9, 2011

The best you can do is first add the INI file to your list of document definitions in the Workbench. You simply do the following:

1. Run Translator's Workbench.
2. Choose Options > Translation Memory Options.
3. Choose the Tools tab. Click the Tag Setting button.
4. In the Tag Setting Manager dialog box, click Open and browse for your INI file. Click Open and click OK.

This should add the INI file to the list of possible TTX files, and from now on the XML file should open nicely in TagEditor without the error message.

If you expect to translate this kind of files regularly for your customer, may I suggest that you place the INI file in some place where it stays along time (and not with the project itself). Maybe you have a separate, fixed directory in which you put the customer's translation memory. There would be a good place for the INI files you receive from them.

I say so because Trados will use the INI file only if it finds it next time you open a similar XML file for the same customer. If you put the INI file with the XML file and rename/move the folder, Trados' link to the file is lost and you have to repeat the above steps again. Not very practical...icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A question Mar 9, 2011

Hello Farzad,
did you select the INI file provided by your client to open the XML? If you did and if you still receive this message, you should inform your client and request him/her to update the INI file accordingly.

+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The error message remains! Mar 9, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

The best you can do is first add the INI file to your list of document definitions in the Workbench. You simply do the following:

1. Run Translator's Workbench.
2. Choose Options > Translation Memory Options.
3. Choose the Tools tab. Click the Tag Setting button.
4. In the Tag Setting Manager dialog box, click Open and browse for your INI file. Click Open and click OK.

This should add the INI file to the list of possible TTX files, and from now on the XML file should open nicely in TagEditor without the error message.

If you expect to translate this kind of files regularly for your customer, may I suggest that you place the INI file in some place where it stays along time (and not with the project itself). Maybe you have a separate, fixed directory in which you put the customer's translation memory. There would be a good place for the INI files you receive from them.

I say so because Trados will use the INI file only if it finds it next time you open a similar XML file for the same customer. If you put the INI file with the XML file and rename/move the folder, Trados' link to the file is lost and you have to repeat the above steps again. Not very practical...icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Thanks so much. I did as you advised, but the same error message appeared again.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check with the customer Mar 9, 2011

Farzad Akmali wrote:
Thanks so much. I did as you advised, but the same error message appeared again.

This leads me to think that the INI file is not the right one for your XML file. Maybe you want to check with the customer just to be sure. Maybe the customer made a mistake and sent you a wrong INI... If they say that it is the right one, then go ahead and create the TTX file with that INI file despite the error.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting XML file into TTX - help needed

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search