SDL TRADOS 2009: Who Can Help?
Thread poster: Adsion

Adsion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:47
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 10, 2011

In long recent period of time, I have desperate experience with SDL. My Trados 2009 encountered errors when I tried to update to SP3, and uninstalled and reinstalled, the problem was always there! I contacted SDL support but only with an automatic reply forcing me to pay more for their So-Called PSMA SERVICE/SUPPORT! I don't understand their logic, if a paying user has problem not resolved, how one can decide to put more cents on them?

Based on my entrust on you friends and ProZ.com, I just would like to ask for your help:

1) How can I solve the problem described above? I have the logged file of the error

2) It seemed that I can only activate one copy of Trados 2009 with my purchased license, but in near future I have to travel with my Laptop. Isn't it ridiculous that a paying user has no right to install a paid software tool on his Laptop?

3) If I do, with their ridiculous logic, have the right only to activate one installation, how can I move this from my Desktop to the Laptop?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Adsion


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 07:47
English to Spanish
It is possible to install Trados on your desktop and your laptop Mar 10, 2011

Hello Adsion,

You should be able to install Trados on your laptop as well. Have you tried?

Otherwise, can you run the License Manager? If so, select your license and press Return License. Then you can install Trados on another computer.

Good luck
Eduardo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:47
Member (2004)
German to English
What is the problem? Mar 10, 2011

Not understanding what the problem is, I'm not sure what the solution is either. However Studio sometimes gets confused. It happend recently when I reinstalled on a new PC. Try locating the following three files on your PC:
BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

Once you have found them, delete them and open Studio again.

Normally you can install Studio Freelance on two machines. Check your account on the translationzone.com site to see if you have other activations available to you.

Even if you don't, download studio on to your laptop and activate a trial. If the trial wont activate, open the licence manager on the desktop and return the licence.
On the laptop, open the account on translationzone.com and reinstall the licence on the laptop.

Let me know how you get on.
Gillian


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:47
Member (2004)
German to English
By the way Mar 10, 2011

If you buy the support agreement you'll never pay for an upgrade again.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:47
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
To solve a problem describe it first Mar 10, 2011

Adsion Liu wrote:

In long recent period of time, I have desperate experience with SDL. My Trados 2009 encountered errors when I tried to update to SP3, and uninstalled and reinstalled, the problem was always there! I contacted SDL support but only with an automatic reply forcing me to pay more for their So-Called PSMA SERVICE/SUPPORT! I don't understand their logic, if a paying user has problem not resolved, how one can decide to put more cents on them?

Based on my entrust on you friends and ProZ.com, I just would like to ask for your help:

1) How can I solve the problem described above? I have the logged file of the error

The first clever solution will be describing the problem.
Any error messages? What happens when you start the software?

2) It seemed that I can only activate one copy of Trados 2009 with my purchased license, but in near future I have to travel with my Laptop. Isn't it ridiculous that a paying user has no right to install a paid software tool on his Laptop?

How many licenses did you purchase? Have you bought Freelance Plus version?
BTW, many other software products are also limited to a single machine. This is nothing strange - or would you like to give your translations for free to a second user, when just one paid?

3) If I do, with their ridiculous logic, have the right only to activate one installation, how can I move this from my Desktop to the Laptop?

Return the license from your desktop and activate it on the laptop. You can repeat this procedure then again, when finished working with laptop.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:47
English
Solution Finders for free Support on Licensing and Installation problems Mar 10, 2011

Adsion Liu wrote:

In long recent period of time, I have desperate experience with SDL. My Trados 2009 encountered errors when I tried to update to SP3, and uninstalled and reinstalled, the problem was always there! I contacted SDL support but only with an automatic reply forcing me to pay more for their So-Called PSMA SERVICE/SUPPORT! I don't understand their logic, if a paying user has problem not resolved, how one can decide to put more cents on them?



Dear Adison,

I would be interested to hear where you have send your Support request to? The SDL Support policy is to help out *all* our customers with installation and licensing problems via the Solution Finders: http://kb.sdl.com/index.aspx?t=sf.

If the instructions don't fix your problem, you are routed to a web form to send your request to the SDL Support portal. A support engineer will then contact you as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Regards,
Judith


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:47
Member (2010)
English to French
SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 Plus Mar 10, 2011

When I bought SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 Plus from SDL (end December) I knew I would need to buy a laptop to replace my XP desktop - more than 4 years old -.

This is why I obtained from SDL two Studio licence keys thanks to the "Plus" option and for only 30€, but bought together since the beginning. Additionally I bought a 1 year support.

This way the switch will be easy and I'll be able - if needed - to use the two copies at the same time.

Marie


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Adsion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:47
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 11, 2011

Eduardo García Soñanes wrote:

Hello Adsion,

You should be able to install Trados on your laptop as well. Have you tried?

Otherwise, can you run the License Manager? If so, select your license and press Return License. Then you can install Trados on another computer.

Good luck
Eduardo



Eduardo,
I tried and I could install, but not able to activate the license on Laptop.
I check with the License Manger, the menu item "Borrow or Return" is not activated either (in grey). Isn't it strange?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Adsion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:47
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2011

Gillian Searl wrote:

Not understanding what the problem is, I'm not sure what the solution is either. However Studio sometimes gets confused. It happend recently when I reinstalled on a new PC. Try locating the following three files on your PC:
BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

Once you have found them, delete them and open Studio again.

Normally you can install Studio Freelance on two machines. Check your account on the translationzone.com site to see if you have other activations available to you.

Even if you don't, download studio on to your laptop and activate a trial. If the trial wont activate, open the licence manager on the desktop and return the licence.
On the laptop, open the account on translationzone.com and reinstall the licence on the laptop.

Let me know how you get on.
Gillian


Gillian,
The problem is: my attempt to start the SDL Trados Studio 2009 after update to SP3 resulted in an error and impossibility to run the program, with error message: "Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results". I've saved the error details into a file. I uninstalled and reinstalled, the error repeated...
I tried deleting your said files and it finally works. Thank you a billion!

I've installed it onto my Laptop, but it only runs in trial mode, is this different from your said activating a trial? If so, how to activate a trial? If I return the license from Desktop, my Trados will have to work on trial mode, no? Anyway, the sure thing is that I only have one license available with paying SDL! I bought it by Group Buy on ProZ.com...

Sorry for my late response since I am busy these days but rarely use grand SDL Trados Studio 2009:-)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Adsion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:47
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, Thank you! Mar 11, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Adsion Liu wrote:

In long recent period of time, I have desperate experience with SDL. My Trados 2009 encountered errors when I tried to update to SP3, and uninstalled and reinstalled, the problem was always there! I contacted SDL support but only with an automatic reply forcing me to pay more for their So-Called PSMA SERVICE/SUPPORT! I don't understand their logic, if a paying user has problem not resolved, how one can decide to put more cents on them?

Based on my entrust on you friends and ProZ.com, I just would like to ask for your help:

1) How can I solve the problem described above? I have the logged file of the error

The first clever solution will be describing the problem.
Any error messages? What happens when you start the software?

2) It seemed that I can only activate one copy of Trados 2009 with my purchased license, but in near future I have to travel with my Laptop. Isn't it ridiculous that a paying user has no right to install a paid software tool on his Laptop?

How many licenses did you purchase? Have you bought Freelance Plus version?
BTW, many other software products are also limited to a single machine. This is nothing strange - or would you like to give your translations for free to a second user, when just one paid?

3) If I do, with their ridiculous logic, have the right only to activate one installation, how can I move this from my Desktop to the Laptop?

Return the license from your desktop and activate it on the laptop. You can repeat this procedure then again, when finished working with laptop.


OK, Thank you, Jerzy!
I seldom use Trados 2009, though busy:-) Sorry for that.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:47
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Now please clarify... Mar 11, 2011

did you buy the Freelance or the Freelance Plus license?
Freelance is just a single activation, Freelance Plus two activations for desktop and laptop.
If you bought Freelance, go to http://www.translationzone.com/en/shop/shop_upgrades.asp and buy and upgrade for an incredibly ridicuolous price of 30 EUR.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Adsion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:47
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 11, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

did you buy the Freelance or the Freelance Plus license?
Freelance is just a single activation, Freelance Plus two activations for desktop and laptop.
If you bought Freelance, go to http://www.translationzone.com/en/shop/shop_upgrades.asp and buy and upgrade for an incredibly ridicuolous price of 30 EUR.


Thank you again, Jerzy, but even with one license, I don't use it more than 3 times a year:-) In fact, my clients tend to have me do proofreading projects...

[Editado a las 2011-03-11 03:35 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:47
Member (2004)
German to English
Go to the support page Mar 11, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

I would be interested to hear where you have send your Support request to? The SDL Support policy is to help out *all* our customers with installation and licensing problems via the Solution Finders: http://kb.sdl.com/index.aspx?t=sf.
Regards,
Judith


Trados will help you with licensing issues but you have to go through this support page - the process exists, you just have to work through it.

If you only have 1 license Studio will only work on 1 machine at a time. It should be relatively easy to return the license on the desktop, install it on the laptop and then do the reverse when you want to work on the desktop again. If the process doesn't work, go through the support site and ask Trados to twiddle its knobs (or whatever it does!) and then it will work.
Gillian


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL TRADOS 2009: Who Can Help?

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search