Problem cleaning my document in Workbench
Thread poster: Isabel Conde

Isabel Conde  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 12, 2011

I use Windows XP and Workbench 2007 that came with the pack of Trados Studio 2009.

Cleaning a document is very simple and it was never a hassle. However, for some reason, it doesn't do the work now. It tells me that "Trados Translator's Workbench has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience", with the usual "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" and the choices: Send Error Report and Don't Send. I know it sounds familiar.

The thing is that the file disappears from my folder as a .doc and changes as a .BAK extension, and of course, I get nothing cleaned.

Thank you in advance for your input,

Isabel

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:49
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some possibilities Mar 12, 2011

Does the problem happen with all documents now? If so, maybe your installation of Trados is corrupted, or maybe you need to run a Windows update.

If it's just this one document, have you tried using the Fix Document function in Trados before attempting the cleanup?

Good luck with it.

[Edited at 2011-03-12 18:35 GMT]

Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 07:49
English to Swedish
+ ...
manual cleaning Mar 12, 2011

If nothing else works and you need a cleaned file clean it manualy in word

word 2003

Tools
Macro
Macro
tw4winClean. Main
run

word 2010 (and 2007????)
show (translated from swedish)
macro
macro
tw4winClean. Main
run

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Steven, Mar 12, 2011

Yes, it happens with all Word documents, but I didn't check with a Power Point, for instance.

I didn't use the Fix Document function. Can you tell me how it works?

And, if Trados is corrupted, I guess I'll need to contact SDL as I did before...

Thank you very much,

Isabel

United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try updating Windows first Mar 13, 2011

A few years ago I had a similar problem, and running a Windows update solved it.

Fix Document is an option under the Trados menu in Word. It's for repairing bilingual Word documents in which one or more of the Trados segment tags has become corrupted. However, if you're having the problem with all documents, then I doubt that Fix Documents will help.

If the Windows update doesn't work, here's what I would do.

1) Go into the license manager and return the license.

2) Uninstall Trados.

3) Reinstall it from the original installer.

4) Go into the license manager and retrieve the license you returned.

You might want to double check with SDL support first, though, since they're the experts on these matters.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Run the clean up macro Mar 13, 2011

If you still want to go down the path of reinstallation, do as Alexandra says, manually clean your document and deliver your job and then, with more time in your hands, proceed with the reinstallation. What if the reinstallation presents problems and you cannot deliver the document on time? It is sad to say but anything could happen with Trados.

[Edited at 2011-03-13 19:18 GMT]

United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cleaning the document before delivery Mar 14, 2011

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

If you still want to go down the path of reinstallation, do as Alexandra says, manually clean your document

If the cleanup script won't run properly, I think there's a free trial version of WordFast Classic. It can clean bilingual Trados Word documents.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I will need to contact SDL Mar 14, 2011

Dear Steven, Alexandra, and Luisa,

I tried to see if I could Fix Documents in Word, but the Multiterm menu that I used to have disappeared after the several attempts to clean Word (by the way, 2003) documents.

I had a problem before, that SDL apparently had solved, so I prefer not to mess with re-installation, I could make more damage.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Isabel

Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
2nd Alexandra's suggestion Mar 14, 2011

If you're in a bind, this works to clean up the file for delivery.

I had the same problem and after a clean uninstall and reinstall of both Office and Trados (I wasn't taking any chances) everything worked fine. But the clean macro saved my project and I was able to deliver on time so I was grateful for the alternative.

Good luck!

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Again I am spinning around SDL Mar 14, 2011

Dear Paul,

Are you around?

The way I could contact SDL before, it doesn't work now. They changed the settings.

I think the problem I had before wasn't solved completely. I can't clean documents and trying to do this, made disappear a Multiterm toolbar that the SDL's assistant put on Word.

Thank you in advance,

Isabel

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I uninstalled/ re-installed and now I have two problems Mar 16, 2011

I can believe this... or should I?

I uninstalled and re-installed to solve the cleaning of documents. Not only I still can't clean my documents, but I have a previous problem that had been solved a month ago: "Multiterm is not running".

What shoul I do now?

Isabel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem cleaning my document in Workbench

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search