Quick doubt: Why a segment shows 99% match instead of 100%?
Thread poster: nandorj78

nandorj78
Brazil
Local time: 07:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2011

Why whenever I confirm a segment (ctrl+enter) and then I come back to this same segment in order to apply the translation, it shows a 99% correct segment and then another 99% correct segment (exactly the same) under it ?

Every time I have to delete one of them so that it can be 100% correct before I apply the translation.

Is it supposed to happen? Or Am I doing sth wrong?

thanks

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:53
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How many translation memories do you use? Mar 14, 2011

A single one? Or two?

nandorj78
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One Mar 14, 2011

One translation memory plus google.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Number of TMs Mar 14, 2011

Hello,
as Jerzy is suggesting, this happens if you update more than one TM at a time. You will then have a 100% match from two or more translation memories and this match receives a -1% penalty for occurence in multiple TMs.

nandorj78
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmm Mar 14, 2011

Well, as my previous posted hasn't yet been approved by the mod I still don't know if Google automated counts as a TM.

Anyway, what will happen if I approve a 99% match? I mean, it's kind of a pain in the neck having to delete one suggestion for every segment.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If the match has been found at Google, then the answer is yes, it counts Mar 14, 2011

Multiple matches are multiple matches IMHO.
Otherwise you might also have created a project TM and then now you use project and main TM at a time.
Check your TM setup - only one TM shall be updated at a time, even if multiple TMs are selected.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
It does Mar 14, 2011

nandorj78 wrote:

Well, as my previous posted hasn't yet been approved by the mod I still don't know if Google automated counts as a TM.

It does indeed.

nandorj78
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmm Mar 14, 2011

So, I do have two TMs (my very own TM and google).

And then what will happen if I approve a 99% match? I mean, it's kind of a pain in the neck having to delete one suggestion for every segment.

I guess I'm making a big confusion between a main TM and a project TM. Oh boy...

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
google doesn't count for matches Mar 14, 2011

Although, as Stanislav points out, Google acts as a TM, it doesn't actually count when it comes to matches, because it is offered as AT (automatic translation). It will never has a % value next to , nor will it affect the percentage matches of look-ups in your TM. In fact, it is impossible to "update" your Google TM (there is no box there, obviously).

So I don't think Google translate has anything to do with this problem.

You could try opening a file for translation and use one new, empty TM as a test.
Translate your first segment and confirm it. Move to the next and do the same. Then go back to the first sentence. The only result in the translation Results should be a single CM (100% context match) hit.

Does this happen, or do you still get two 99% matches on this test?

nandorj78
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
strange Mar 15, 2011

Strangely there were actually two local memories in 'all language pairs', but only one actually enabled. I have now deleted one of them and everything sees to be normal now.

As for the en-port language pair there was only one local memory

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quick doubt: Why a segment shows 99% match instead of 100%?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search