Copywriting/Marketing content
Thread poster: jay2212

jay2212
Local time: 03:54
English
Mar 14, 2011

Hi,
I am translating marketing content and my client is asking to have ITD segementation at para level instead of sentence level. This will help translators to provide more better copywriting style translation and also provide better content context.

Please suggest whether it will be better to have para level (2-3 sentence) in one ITD row instead of single sentence. I understand it will affect the TM leverage later. Is this the best way to move forward for marketing/banner type content.

thanks,

Direct link Reply with quote

Sanych_Msk  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:24
Member (2010)
English to Russian
IMHO Sentence segmentation is better, than paragraph one Mar 15, 2011

Some time ago I worked with PROMT translation software and it segmented source text by paragraphs only, not by sentences. I found it extremely inconvenient for me, as bits of text to work with were too huge and it was hard to concentrate on a particular phrase.

After I took to Trados I am usually happy with the way the source text is segmented. And it is possible to merge adjacent segments or split a segment if automatic segmentation is improper or inconvenient.

I think, dear jay2212, you may try both variants and make your choice, but I consider sentence segmentation to be better, than paragraph one.

Nikolay "Sanych" Remizov.

[Edited at 2011-03-15 02:32 GMT]

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:24
English to German
+ ...
Your client is highly experienced, intelligent and professional. Mar 15, 2011

Congratulations!

This customer is a keeper. Why?

You can not write marketing texts chopped up into pieces. Each text is a speech in itself.

If you cannot work without any tools that will allow you bite-sized, easily digestible Gerber-Baby bite-sized bits, then you probably shouldn't touch copy writing or transcreation in the first place. Because it requires the bigger picture.

And this is what your costumer is going to pay higher rates for. A broader universe of your mind.

If you keep thinking within the parameters of your CAT Tool analysis and TMs, nobody can help you and you probably were never meant to be a writer and communicator.

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 23:24
French to English
Nicole, I agree, but.... Mar 15, 2011

Nicole, I specialize in marketing content (translation and original copywriting). I agree that TM tools have little or no role to play in this kind of work (if that is in fact what you meant).

That said...I do work for a couple of multinational corporations that have elaborate global marketing content management and localization systems (for instance for a given product you have a 5-word high-level key benefit message, a 25-word more detailed key benefit message, and a 90-word even more detailed message about the product...These key messages are fed into a global marketing content management system and can be translated and called up to appear in PDF brochures or product data sheets, on POS materials, in catalogs, on website product pages...whether or not this is effective from a content creation standpoint is another issue). I think the result often looks rather "cut and past-ey". However, right now it is the best solution they have for managing huge amounts of content translated into dozens of languages while at least trying to make sure that all messages comply with brand standards.

I can see why someone might be tempted to use TM for this kind of work, (and I can even see why certain customers might think it is a good idea). The lure of automation is not unique to translation...it is definitely catching on as an idea in the content management industry (with the same illusions that machines will take over for copywriters someday).

For now I insist on using my old-fashioned methods (which means I insist on seeing as many of the templates as I can...the product data sheet, the brochure, the product web page, the POS wobbler, etc.) to see HOW each blurb is potentially used and to find solutions that work in all possible contexts...don't see how TM can help with that, but I see lots of ways it could hurt in the wrong hands

I know for French-to-English marketing copy translations (my area) segmentation even at paragraph level can be pretty deadly as I often totally rearrange copy to boost impact in English (in French copywriters often wind their way along a logical path of reasoning to arrive at the conclusion, while in English we tend to put the conclusion up front for impact...this often happens at a level higher than paragraph level in a given document).

So, more often than not I eschew TM completely. Or use TM for a fast and dirty draft (to create glossaries or at least have access to concordance searches) but then TOTALLY REWRITE the target text outside of the TM environment. But this is for my own convenience only and my clients don't know and don't care...they just want a deliverable that does its job, doesn't matter how it was created.

jay2212
Local time: 03:54
English
TOPIC STARTER
Copywriting/Marketing content Mar 15, 2011

Thanks for reply all.

Right now I am not worried about the TM, but thinking about para level or sentence level segementation.

I am not sure of advantage and disadvantage of having text segementated at para level and what is the right apporach for marketing content.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copywriting/Marketing content

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search