Is Trados Studio 2009 Student edition enough?
Thread poster: podgipnozom
podgipnozom
Local time: 13:09
Mar 15, 2011

hello,
I would like to address especially SDL registered freelancers.
I am eligible for Trados Studio 2009 Student edition. But it has limitations:
The users will not be able to:

Create new .ttx or .itd bilingual files (users will be able to create.xliff bilingual files)
Translate within TagEditor
Create translation memories in Translator's Workbench or SDLX
Access WinAlign to create new translation memories from previously translated content

do you think these limitations are crucial for translation work (common to SDL?) Will I be able to perform common tasks?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:09
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
All these points ... Mar 15, 2011

podgipnozom wrote:
Create new .ttx or .itd bilingual files (users will be able to create.xliff bilingual files)
Translate within TagEditor
Create translation memories in Translator's Workbench or SDLX
Access WinAlign to create new translation memories from previously translated content

... are features of Trados 2007, which is why they don't come with Studio 2009 (unless you buy the freelance version that comes bundled with Trados 2007).

They are all crucial if you work with agencies who still require you to deliver in Trados 2007 formats (i.e. bilingual Word docs or ttx).

However, if you are not tied to such agencies, then Studio 2009 alone is just what you need.

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Your question is a bit flawed Mar 15, 2011

These are all functions of 2007, 2009 does not use TTX or Tageditor or Workbench etc.

But when getting Studio 2009 Freelance, you also get Studio 2007 for free to use TTX and Tageditor etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados Studio 2009 Student edition enough?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search