Do you think Trados Studio 2009 is a priority & is any SDL Trados Training available in Frankfurt?
Thread poster: Ketty Federico

Ketty Federico  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:48
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 15, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am a basic user of Trados 2007, which I normally use together with Office 2003: it seems to be the best working combination for me.

What I am able to do is: using and editing translation memories, using the TWB, using Tag Editor (and so translating word files and power point files).

I have two questions that also the staff members are welcomed to answer:

- Do you think it is really necessary to upgrade and use Trados Studio 2009? Does this offer a significant number of new and useful features?

- Do you know any place / institute in Frankfurt am Main where I could get a certified training for SDL Trados?

[Edited at 2011-03-15 11:12 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not in Frankfurt, but in Berlin Mar 15, 2011

You can get a certified SDL training in Berlin on April 1st.
This is bookbar through ProZ here: http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/4399-sdl-trados-studio-2009-getting-started-for-translators

As for the necessity of using Studio: the demand might not be as high as for Trados in general, but looking from the point of usability it is much better than the "old" Trados you use. It supports the translator with much more functions than T2007 did.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:48
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Doesn't seem to be a priority Mar 15, 2011

I've been using Trados 2007 for years and all my clients have been fine with that. No one has asked me to upgrade. And increasingly, I find that clients don't care what tool I'm using.

Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Mar 15, 2011

Jerzy!

I imagined that new features might have been released, and that’s why I was wondering if it is ok to work with Trados 2007 or if this might appear as an old solution.

I had read about Berlin, just it is too difficult for me to organize this in two weeks, as I am already travelling around quite a lot this month. That is the reason why I was thinking of finding something here in Frankfurt or close to it.

Do you know if there is a list of upcoming similar events in Germany?

Thanks for your help!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not yet Mar 15, 2011

but provided I would find additional 4 or more people willing to do a beginners seminar in FFM, we could organise that directly. This, however, would be not an official SDL course, but a beginner seminar done on my schedule, practically oriented.
So if anyone else from FFM or area is interested, feel free to contact me and we try to organise a session.

Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A SDL Trados Course in Frankfurt am Main Mar 15, 2011

would be an ideal solution to me, as I am currently working full time here.

I will spread this around and eventually give you a feedback. A course in English or in German is anyway ok to me.

Let's also see if we get some more people here. I will anyway get in touch with you once I have collected some feedback from colleagues and friends.

Thanks for your help.

Ketty

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Totally agree, but... Mar 15, 2011

Steven Capsuto wrote:

I've been using Trados 2007 for years and all my clients have been fine with that. No one has asked me to upgrade. And increasingly, I find that clients don't care what tool I'm using.

I quite agree that there is no pressure from clients. Most don't care so long as you can deliver in the format they need (clean doc or ttx). And most still work with Trados 2007.

However, Studio 2009 is so much better to work with than Tag Editor (not to speak of the lack of stability with Word formatting if you use Workbench in Word) that Studio is my preferred application by far.

So, to answer Ketty's question, do I think Trados Studio 2009 is a priority? Yes, without a doubt.

And re training and travel, the Proz online training is a good alternative.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:48
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Problems with Trados 2007 Mar 15, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
However, Studio 2009 is so much better to work with than Tag Editor (not to speak of the lack of stability with Word formatting if you use Workbench in Word)

That's why I've just switched to memoQ (which solves the formatting and interface problems and costs much less than Studio). But I still have Trados 2007 and can use it for those clients who require it. As I said, no one has yet asked me to use Studio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you think Trados Studio 2009 is a priority & is any SDL Trados Training available in Frankfurt?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search