Thread poster: RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT

RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
Member (2009)
French to English
Mar 15, 2011

Hello,

I have been sent a TMX translation memory but I have Studio 2009. I have been told that I can create a translation memory and import the TMX translation memory. I tried to do this and got the following message error: "culture name 'all' is not supported". The only possible explanation I have managed to find so far is that it is a difference between the source and target languages but this is not the case. Both TMs have the same source and target.

I'd be really grateful for some clear advice. I usually find conversations about Trados issues very difficult to understand.

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:40
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which TMX version is this? Mar 15, 2011

If you do not know, create a new TM in the Workbench, import the TMX there and then use the the upgrade functionality in Studio to access this TM.
AFAIK Studio accepts only TMX 1.4b, while TWB will "eat" every version.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
How do I find out which TMX version it is? Mar 15, 2011

Hello,
All I know is that the file ends with .tmx. How can I find out what version it is?
I have imported the tmx file in a new TM and then followed the Wizard through (to the best of my ability) and this is when the error message shows.
Ruth

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not sure, the file header should tell you that Mar 15, 2011

But where did you import the TMX? Was it Trados 2007 Suite, build 8.3.0.863? Only this will work with Studio.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Imported into Studio 2009 Mar 15, 2011

Hello
I created a new TM in Studio 2009 and imported the TMX file into it. Is this the right thing to do? Do I need to download Trados 2007?
Ruth

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This would have been the right wy, wouldn't you get the error message Mar 15, 2011

But as you are getting an error message this lets me suppose the TMX version isn't correct.
This is why I would try to create a translation memory in the Workbench (part of Trados 2007), then importing the TMX there and finaly using the upgrade wizard for TMs in Studio to get such TM updated.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
language code expected Mar 15, 2011

RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT wrote:

got the following message error: "culture name 'all' is not supported".

The most probable explanation is that the adminlang (or srclang) field in the header is set to "*all*", which is accepted by some tools and not by others. I've run into this problem before. "*all*" probably used to be acceptable in previous TMX formats, while newer formats require the use of a specific language code instead of the generic "*all*".

I would open the TMX file in a text editor and change both adminlang and srclang to whatever the code of the source language is (without asterisks). Search for tuv xml:lang= to find the code.

Jerzy Ozana  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Changing the language codes helps Jun 14, 2011

The solution suggested by FarkasAndras worked very well in my case. I got the same error message on a TMX file exported from Across 5.00 SP1. After editing the "adminlang" and "srclang" fields, the TMX file was seamlessly imported into Studio 2009 SP3.

The fields must match the language variant of the source segments, i.e. in my case they contained strings "en-US", while the segment descriptors were "en-GB". After switching to "en-GB", everything went fine.

Many thanks for providing an easy solution to this problem!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Welcome Jun 14, 2011

Jerzy Ozana wrote:

After editing the "adminlang" and "srclang" fields, the TMX file was seamlessly imported into Studio 2009 SP3.

Many thanks for providing an easy solution to this problem!

You're welcome. The OP never bothered to report back, but now we know this solution should work.
For a supposedly common exchange format, TMX causes surprisingly many compatibility problems -- many of which I was forced to research when I was writing my TMX maker, so I tend to know how TMX can go wrong. Thankfully, most of these problems can be fixed with search and replace.

[Edited at 2011-06-14 12:30 GMT]

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Thanks! Oct 30, 2012

Thanks to you all. Changing *all* to source language code didn't work for me but Jerzy's solution did. As usual the Proz Trados forum saved the day so thanks. Incidentally does the same problem occur with studio 2009?

[Edited at 2012-10-30 14:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-30 14:16 GMT]

Elvan
New Zealand
lk Aug 29, 2013

Hi guys,

Sorry it looks like I have the same problem mentioned above, but what makes it worse is that I am a beginner. what program do you use to change the *all* code?

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting TMX to SDLX: error message - "culture name 'all' is not supported"

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search