Confirm all segments in Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Eng_Copywriter

Eng_Copywriter  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:40
Member (2013)
Swedish to English
Mar 16, 2011

I have a huge file, with lots of 'rubbish' (tags etc) and only a few lines of text that needs altering. How do I confirm all the segments in the file, without having to 'confirm and move to next segment' 1000s of times?icon_smile.gif Thanks for any help!

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 22:40
English to French
+ ...
Review Mar 16, 2011

Open your document for Review, make your changes, then save. The system will ask you if it should confirm all the segments.

Jean-Pierre

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
2 possibillities Mar 16, 2011

Select all segments by clicking in the number of the first segment, scrolling down to the end of the docment, pressing and holding SHIFT and clicking in the number of the last segment. Now click the right mouse button exactly over the number column and change the segment status accordingly.
Or open the document for review and close then. With default setting you will be prompted to confirm that all segments shall be set to reviewed status.

T-tive
Local time: 05:40
thanks. Jerzy, for your meticulous answer! Jun 3, 2011

Hi,

I've been pondering about the same thing, namely how to confirm more than one segement at a time and I came across many different aproaches etc. but only now I found what I was really looking foricon_smile.gif that is the information that you can highlight as many TU as you like, but you must click exactly on the column with numbers. If you click somewhere else, it wont work...
One can only guess why such important actions are hidden so well in Trados 2009.

Lukasz Kinalczyk

[Edited at 2011-06-03 11:28 GMT]

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
All segments confirmed + saved to the TM? Apr 6, 2012

Thanks Jerzy, it only seems that by confirming all segments through opening the document for review and then setting all segments to 'reviewed status' they are not necessarily also saved to the TM, i.e. the status 'confirmed' does not necessarily imply the status 'translated (+ saved to the TM)', right?
Or have I mistakenly altered some default setting maybe?

Finally I managed to use the other method of marking all segments - it seems one has to only press SHIFT (but not CTRL) and wait until the segments become coloured yellowish.. Took a while to figure that out - you're right Lukasz, Trados Studio likes being mysterious about even the most fundamental operations.
Or maybe I'm just tired and a somewhat stupid by now..

Peter

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Peter Apr 8, 2012

You are right, in this case you need further steps (updating or finalizing) to save the changes in the TM, see:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/190210-confirm_all_in_trados_studio.html

Helena Vansynghel  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Wonderful Feb 6, 2013

Thanks to all your comments on Proz I am able to confirm 500 segments more quickly!

Sarunas P
Lithuania
Russian to English
+ ...
IT WORKS! - one more improvement Oct 3, 2013

It realy works!

Thank You, I was torturting myselficon_smile.gif many times without knowing this. Trados is complicated in this issue. MemoQ does the same in a much easier way.

One improvement when You click on the I-st number in order to select all, there is no necessity to scroll all the way down - You can just hold the Shift+Ctrl keys without releasingthem it and then press "End" key - then wait for some time and all the segments will be selected.

Then do everything as written by Jerzy.

Good luck

[Edited at 2013-10-03 13:29 GMT]

Sarunas P
Lithuania
Russian to English
+ ...
No Oct 3, 2013

No it does not Select All with the mentioned keys, but it should be some key combination to select all without scrolling (?!)

Sarunas P
Lithuania
Russian to English
+ ...
Aditional question(s)!!! (?) How to save multiple segments to TM? Oct 4, 2013

Aditional question:

How to make those multiple selected segments acquire status 'TRANSLATED and also saved to the TM?
(because the status 'CONFIRMED' does not necessarily imply the status 'TRANSLATED (+ saved to the TM)

This makes great problems I did a big job yesterday, by confirming multiple selected segments, but the program crashed and destroyed all the work. (now those segments are just in the memory - one must insert them back)

How to avoid such disasters?

And it is saving the entire file for a very long time - more than half an hour
How to make it do it quicker?

What can we do with that terrible Tradosicon_wink.gif

Need an urgent answer - project is "burning".
Thanks in beforehand

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Greyed out Feb 6, 2014

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Select all segments by clicking in the number of the first segment, scrolling down to the end of the docment, pressing and holding SHIFT and clicking in the number of the last segment. Now click the right mouse button exactly over the number column and change the segment status accordingly.
Or open the document for review and close then. With default setting you will be prompted to confirm that all segments shall be set to reviewed status.

Hi Jerzy,

I tried doing exactly as you suggested on a long project but the options to change segment status were all greyed out when I right clicked after selecting all the units. Any idea why this might be? I ended up manually going through them with CTRL-ENTER, which worked fine but was less efficient than what you suggest.

Thanks as always for your help with these matters.

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confirm all segments in Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search