Steven Jefferson
Steven Jefferson
Spain
Local time: 20:09
German to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2011

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with SP 4? Is it worth taking the risk of installing it?

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
English to Italian
SDL MultiTerm SP4 Mar 16, 2011

Please note that the service pack we just released is for SDL MultiTerm 2009 only, not SDL Trados Studio.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Massimo

Iuliana Bozkurt
Iuliana Bozkurt  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:09
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
I would not recommend it Mar 16, 2011

Hello,

with all the respect and admiration for this otherwise excellent software, I must say that for me, personally, installing Multiterm SP4 has been a bad idea. I will tell you why, maybe I am missing something:

Approx 1.5 hours ago, when it all started, I was translating a document in Tag Editor. Only Tag Editor and the afferent translation memory were open, no MultiTerm instance.

I started installing this SP4. Ok... I was not prompted to close Tag Edi
... See more
Hello,

with all the respect and admiration for this otherwise excellent software, I must say that for me, personally, installing Multiterm SP4 has been a bad idea. I will tell you why, maybe I am missing something:

Approx 1.5 hours ago, when it all started, I was translating a document in Tag Editor. Only Tag Editor and the afferent translation memory were open, no MultiTerm instance.

I started installing this SP4. Ok... I was not prompted to close Tag Editor, therefore I assumed there was no problem if I continued my work. I have performed dozens of installs while translating, so no big deal. I use Win Vista and Office 2007, btw.

The problem occurred when the installation was finished and I was prompted to restart my PC. I tried to close the TU I was working on, but at that moment Tag Editor collapsed. An error message and it closed.

I tried to open a Word document. Surprise, Word was frozen! I could not scroll down the document, I could not perform copy/paste operations, nothing. I tried to close it. At that moment, Word collapsed too.

I restarted the PC. Now, Word has the same problem and TagEditor can't even open the document I was working on...

I uninstalled this Multiterm SP4. The problem persists. Now I am trying to repair my Office suite, I will let you know if I managed to solve something or not...

P.S. The problem persists. When I try to open the document, I get this message (briefly): Retrieving COM class factory failed due to the following error: 80040154. Gosh...

[Edited at 2011-03-16 18:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-16 18:21 GMT]
Collapse

Ata Arif
Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:09
Kurdish to English
+ ...
Installation problem Mar 16, 2011

It looks like your problem is with the way you installed it not the poor software itself.
It is always recommended to close all open windows, especially those which share that software, before downloading/upgrading; even if the software does not ask for that.
I downloaded it and I did not experience any problems. It is much better than the previous version.

Iuliana Bozkurt
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Yes... Mar 16, 2011

Ata Arif wrote:

It looks like your problem is with the way you installed it not the poor software itself.
It is always recommended to close all open windows, especially those which share that software, before downloading/upgrading; even if the software does not ask for that.
I downloaded it and I did not experience any problems. It is much better than the previous version.

Well, I think you are right. But the question is what to do now...

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You should blame yourself, not the software Mar 16, 2011

How on earth can you consider installing a new version of the Multiterm software while you are using it from Tag Editor and not even close down TE before upgrading. I mean, TE is making use of this SW and you upgrade it while it is in use, if I understood you right. That is simply gross negligence.

In my opinion, you should even refrain from upgrading a SW while you are working on a project and wait until you finished the project

Walter.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Seems to work for me Mar 16, 2011

Iuliana Isac wrote:

I started installing this SP4. Ok... I was not prompted to close Tag Editor, therefore I assumed there was no problem if I continued my work. I have performed dozens of installs while translating, so no big deal. I use Win Vista and Office 2007, btw.

Hi Iuliana,

Everything's fine for me so far. I've installed MT SP4 on two computers under XP and Windows 7. MultiTerm seems to be performing to spec and the widget works nicely in Word and PowerPoint 2007/2003.

I must admit I closed all other programs before running the setup file, which I do as a matter of course, having had experiences like yours in the past. Did you install with administrator rights by right-clicking on the file? Also it probably wasn't a great idea to run the installation with a translation unit open in TagEditor.

I'm afraid I haven't got any advice on what to do but the installation did work for me.

Giles

Iuliana Bozkurt
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Not so easy Mar 16, 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:

How on earth can you consider installing a new version of the Multiterm software while you are using it from Tag Editor and not even close down TE before upgrading. I mean, TE is making use of this SW and you upgrade it while it is in use, if I understood you right. That is simply gross negligence.

In my opinion, you should even refrain from upgrading a SW while you are working on a project and wait until you finished the project

Walter.

I was assuming I would receive a message warning me if there could be such a serious problem. Then, I would have closed Tag Editor.

Gross negligence is a rather strong term, taking into account that I have a delivery tomorrow morning and I wanted to do things simultaneously. Instead of using strong adjectives (I am already upset at all this mess), maybe you could provide a solution. Easy to blame, difficult to solve...

[Edited at 2011-03-16 20:31 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Walter is completly right Mar 16, 2011

Iuliana Isac wrote:

Walter Blaser wrote:

Walter.

I was assuming I would receive a message warning me if there could be such a serious problem. Then, I would have closed Tag Editor.

Gross negligence is a rather strong term, taking into account that I have a delivery tomorrow morning and I wanted to do things simultaneously. Instead of using strong adjectives (I am already upset at all this mess), maybe you could provide a solution. Easy to blame, difficult to solve...

The solution is simple; uninstall everything, clean the registry and install from scratch.

Iuliana Bozkurt
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Indeed Mar 17, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Iuliana Isac wrote:

Walter Blaser wrote:

Walter.

The solution is simple; uninstall everything, clean the registry and install from scratch.

Thank you for providing a solution to my problem. You really helped me a lot! Indeed, I uninstalled MS Office and Tag Editor (they were both corrupt), cleaned the registry, reinstalled everything from scratch and now I am happy to see everything is fine again. LESSON LEARNED: always close al programs when installing new things. I knew this rule before, as a matter of fact, but I always thought it was an unnecessary extra protection. Apparently I was wrong.

Oh, and I finally installed SP4, which works just fine, even the new widget application, which I think it can help you save some time, mainly when you translate general texts.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Term recognition in TE switches off Mar 17, 2011

I usually use term recognition with TE, even though it has become a little more annoying adding terms since I got Studio 2009 installed also (the short cuts for adding terms nolonger work, but this is a known issue, and I found a rather fast fix for that).

After installing SP4 last night, however, the term recognition switches off - well it looks as if it is still switched on when you check the settings, but the fact is that the connection is completely lost.
It appears to be
... See more
I usually use term recognition with TE, even though it has become a little more annoying adding terms since I got Studio 2009 installed also (the short cuts for adding terms nolonger work, but this is a known issue, and I found a rather fast fix for that).

After installing SP4 last night, however, the term recognition switches off - well it looks as if it is still switched on when you check the settings, but the fact is that the connection is completely lost.
It appears to be happening whenever I have added a term, but I cannot be sure.

The first time it switched itself off, I managed to get it up and running again, but this time it simply refuses to connect. No error messages or anything.
All settings are exactly as if it was working, only it's not.

I hope someone has a brilliant idea how to fix this, as I just started a huge project where I must use term recognition, and for various reasons I am using TE instead of Studio for this.

Fixed, now
I have now managed to figure out what the problem was - it seems that my termbase, although I had not chosen a sublanguage when chosing English from the settings menu, had unilaterally decided that it should be British English.
This clashed with my TagEditor document and my TM which were both using American English.

This has never happened to me before - I guess I have simply been lucky not to run into this particular situation before.

Is this really intentional? I mean, I am not warned that if I don't chose a sublanguage for English, the standard would be British English, even though it appears to mean a real lot in the end.

I would also suggest - as this has annoyed me extensively - that it should be possible to use TMs and termbases with different sublanguages (but of course the same main language) within any given translation should one chose to.

I have several TMs and termbases in different sublanguages simply because this particular client needed it, but I will later be needing those entries in another sublanguage, but this is not easy - I have to go through all kinds of trouble to fix this.

[Edited at 2011-03-17 10:48 GMT]
Collapse

Zsuzsanna Vajdovics
Zsuzsanna Vajdovics
Italy
Member (2007)
Italian to Hungarian
+ ...
WIN XP problem after installing SP4 Mar 18, 2011

I installed the SP4 and now I have the widget running in background all the time. How can I avoid this? I do not need it all the time, only for some special cases.
And, the worst: after installing SP4 my PC does not shut down. (it is the only changement I made yesterday). Even if I close all running applications in Task Manager, I can't shut down regularly, only by means of the physical switch.

Any ideas please?

Julia Aigner
Julia Aigner  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Computer does not shut down Mar 18, 2011

I have the same problem: Since installing SP4, my computer does not reply to the shut down command anymore. Does anybody know how this can be fixed?

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
I spoke too soon Mar 18, 2011

I spoke too soon.

SP4 works fine on my Windows 7 machine but I am experiencing the same problem as Julia and Zsuzsanna on my back-up computer, which has XP. Closing the widget (right-clicking on the icon and selecting exit) makes no difference.

I have submitted a request under my PSMA.

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
More on SP4+XP Mar 20, 2011

I took the advice of a colleague on TW_users:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/57776

and removed SDL programs from the start-up menu, which seems to have solved the problem. I'm looking forward to hearing what SDL has to say.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm Service Pack 4

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »