Thread poster: Peter Ross

Peter Ross  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 20:41
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2011

Where can I find out the system requirements (versions of Windows, service packs or language service packs, +/- system settings to tweak for languages) to use Studio 2009 with languages that SDL says it "supports"? --in my case specifically Thai and Vietnamese.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:41
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
why tweak? Mar 18, 2011

I thought Studio supported these languages by default. Have you already tried?

Regards from Binh Thanh. Cloudy today

Peter Ross  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 20:41
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My experience with Thai (& Vietnamese) Mar 18, 2011

Thanks so much for responding Lutz

Thai and Vietnamese are advertised as being supported by Studio 2009. I guess most people using it are doing localization (from English into T, V). I'm working the other way. I use Thai and Vietnamese everyday in other programs.

My first experiences with T & V and Studio 9 both were a failure. I'm focussing on Thai for now. I've just completed a (very enjoyable) Multiterm course. Still no better off. e.g.

1. Running XP, Multiterm works fine, but in Studio 2009-SP3, the term recognition window remains empty. Term recognition is happening; there are purple triangle coded markers in the source L window either side of words in the termbase (rather than the red line). There is no functional recognition when typing in the target L window. Being a technical issue, the Mutliterm trainer couldn't help with this.

2. Running Windows 7 (installed last month in Thailand for standard Thai use), the browse/hitlist window of Multiterm won't display Thai font, though the actual terms in the right hand window display ok.

Another problem I gave up on was is that the character set for WinAlign is not up to date, so Thai source files get corrupted and you have to open every file as txt and correct it.

I've tried emailing a Bangkok-based company which advertised here on proz as being an official SDL agent but have received no response over a couple of months now, even to a request to attend a training course.

In the long run, I'm happy to pay for SDL support, but its seems that the advertised functionality should be there for a product when you first get it. If Studio 2009 is truly compatible with any language, we need to know what system setup the person making the claim is using. Is that unreasonable?

Peter
HCMC

[Edited at 2011-03-18 05:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

System Requirements for Languages

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search