SDL Trados 2009 non-functioning/shuts down
Thread poster: Cecilie Nielsen

Cecilie Nielsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:48
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2011

Hi all

My SDL Trados Freelance 2009 is not working at all. At first I was able to open to program, but it wouldn't let me stay anywhere except in the Home view. If I clicked on Projects or Files the program shut down and told me "Cannot upload filetype:" followed by the filename of the very latest project I was working on.

I reopened the program and was able to open the Projects view and delete that particular project, and then the program did not shut down anymore. Quite the contrary, it wouldn't allow me to close it!!

I had to restart the computer.

What do I do? Uninstall the software, and then re-download and reinstall it?

My internet connection broke down just before the program became non-functioning, and my modem had to be replaced and now the internet is working. Are the two issues related?

Thanks for help.

Cecilie

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does the program start now? Mar 16, 2011

Sometimes project settings files become corrupt, so if the software is working now, I would try to reopen the project by double clicking the sdlproj file.
Should this not work, recreate the project from scratch and replace the sdlxliff files in the target language folder with the files from the damaged project.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot use the program Mar 16, 2011

Hi Jerzy

I cannot actually use the program at all. I've tried to create a new project and open a new document, but it doesn't allow me to do either. I get no further than the Home view.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of error messages? Mar 16, 2011

Any of those?

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error message Mar 17, 2011

The error message says something along the lines of "Object reference not set to object form". This message comes up whether I try to open a new document or when I try to close the program down.

ashok jayanti
India
Local time: 01:18
English to Telugu
+ ...
studio2009 not starting Mar 17, 2011

I am also facing the same problem and same error message.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you install/confirm any updates in the meantime? Mar 17, 2011

Before we go deeper I have to know your Trados Studio version and your operating system.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Delete XMLs? Mar 17, 2011

Cecilie Nielsen wrote:

The error message says something along the lines of "Object reference not set to object form". This message comes up whether I try to open a new document or when I try to close the program down.

Hello Cecilie,
I guess the message is "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Try to locate the files BaseSettings.xml, UserSettings.xml, and plugincache.xml and move them to a safe location (and I mean MOVE, DON'T just copy them). Then start Studio and see if it works.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados version Mar 17, 2011

Jerzy, I use SDL Trados Studio Freelance 2009. Operating system is Windows XP.

Stanislav, I have no XML files on this program.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Search your HDD Mar 17, 2011

Cecilie Nielsen wrote:
Stanislav, I have no XML files on this program.

Try to search your entire harddrive, including hidden folders. For WinXP, they are typically located in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[VERSIONNUMBER]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio 2009 Freelance is not the version Mar 17, 2011

This is just a brand name. I need the full version of the program, which can be found in Help - About. There you find a number, for example 9.1.2261.3 - I need this.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version number Mar 17, 2011

Thank you. It's 9.1.2261.3.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you actualize C++2005 and C+2008? Mar 17, 2011

Please check with the article 3353 on talisma.sdl.com
There is a description how to get the updates for C++ runtimes.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try Mar 18, 2011

Thank you, Jerzy. I spoke to one of the Support people and it was suggested to me to uninstall and then reinstall, so I'll try that first. Thanks for helping!

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
C++ Mar 18, 2011

Jerzy, I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it and it still doesn't work. Then I downloaded the #3353 zip file, but it didn't help either. When I uninstalled the program earlier today I spotted the C++ programs on the list of programs on my computer. Both the 2005 and 2008 are there and seem to be actualised.

As for my Trados program, it doesn't allow me to do a single thing except open it.

Will speak to a Support worker on Monday I hope.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 non-functioning/shuts down

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search