https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/194552-missing_features_in_sdl_2009.html

Missing features in SDL 2009
Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 17, 2011

Hello collegues worldwide,

I just started working with SDL 2009 (about 30.000 words now), but I am missing the "text comparing function" (sorry, I don't know its official name) of Trados 2007, especially when I am working on a big text.
During a translation I might apply changes in (repeating) sentences / terminology as I go along. When finished, I always proof my work, before sending it to my client. In Trados 2007 the sentences in which I made a change, light up in yellow,
... See more
Hello collegues worldwide,

I just started working with SDL 2009 (about 30.000 words now), but I am missing the "text comparing function" (sorry, I don't know its official name) of Trados 2007, especially when I am working on a big text.
During a translation I might apply changes in (repeating) sentences / terminology as I go along. When finished, I always proof my work, before sending it to my client. In Trados 2007 the sentences in which I made a change, light up in yellow, as indication of a fuzzy, so I know I have to make a correction.
I miss that function in SDL 2009, where I have to remember the changes I made myself, no indication at all! This can lead to inconsistency etc...
Or am I mistaken, and SDL has such a function? If it does, could anyone please tell me where to find the right button?

Secondly, I am not impressed with the inbuilt word-/spellchecker of SDL. It underlines correct (Dutch) words and comes with silly alternatives. It drives me mad. I agree that the spellchecker of Word isn't perfect, but it is still "heaven" compared to that of SDL, which is in short "useless".
Am I the only one with this problem, or does somebody has an alternative I am not aware of? As I stated before, I am only a "beginner" with this system.

I love to hear your reactions.

Regards,

Rob
Collapse

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
. Mar 17, 2011

For your first problem, I'm afraid I did not understand it entirely. You can always check in Studio what segments were confirmed with or without editing (or are not confirmed due to a change made after they were confirmed) in the middle column, between the source and target segments.

As for your second problem, Studio updates unfortunately do not update the spell-checking glossaries (which are quite old), but you can always update th
... See more
For your first problem, I'm afraid I did not understand it entirely. You can always check in Studio what segments were confirmed with or without editing (or are not confirmed due to a change made after they were confirmed) in the middle column, between the source and target segments.

As for your second problem, Studio updates unfortunately do not update the spell-checking glossaries (which are quite old), but you can always update them manually from the providers's page - http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries - by overwriting the respective .aff and .dic files in SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\HunspellDictionaries\ folder

[Módosítva: 2011-03-17 19:13 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Middle column doesn't change Mar 17, 2011

Hello Zoltán,

Thank you for your answers.

About the middle column, it doesn't change after a "change". It just gives me the translation I put there first, like CM or 100%, not the corrections I made after, hence my question. It might work on your SDL version, not on mine, that is my problem. If I change only 1 word, the system doesn't recognize it for the rest of the text, I have to correct it EVERYWHERE manually. That is the fault in this new Cat tool. In the "old
... See more
Hello Zoltán,

Thank you for your answers.

About the middle column, it doesn't change after a "change". It just gives me the translation I put there first, like CM or 100%, not the corrections I made after, hence my question. It might work on your SDL version, not on mine, that is my problem. If I change only 1 word, the system doesn't recognize it for the rest of the text, I have to correct it EVERYWHERE manually. That is the fault in this new Cat tool. In the "old Trados" it coulered yellow, indicating there was a change/fuzzy, so I knew.

About the second point, if I understand you correctly, I have to write my own dictionary? I dont think that is what a dictionary is meant for.

I hope you understand me now.

Kind regards,

Rob
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Autopropagation instead Mar 17, 2011

Hello Robert,
if you have "Autopropagation" set to "ON", any change you make to a segment should be autopropagated to any repeated segment(s). Check your Studio settings.

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
. Mar 18, 2011

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

About the second point, if I understand you correctly, I have to write my own dictionary? I dont think that is what a dictionary is meant for.

I hope you understand me now.

Kind regards,

Rob

uhm, where did you read that?:) Please check the link provided.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Autopropagation Mar 23, 2011

Hello Stanislav,

Sorry for my late respons. This might be the solution. Autopropagation is enabled, only I don't know which boxes have to be activated. Could you give me a hint please.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There are no boxes which have to be checked Mar 23, 2011

The settings simply depend on your preferrences.
If you need to confirm the autopropagation, chose "ask user", then you can decide, if autopropagated segments after your confirmation shall be confirmed as translated and so on.
Please simply try it out to make sure the setting is as you need it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Missing features in SDL 2009

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »