Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:53
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2011

I have Trados 2007 Suite and Vista.

All of a sudden last week - I have not knowingly made any changes to any settings - Workbench has developed a problem translating lists.

It inserts an extra line between each list item, together with an extra segment opening mark. I therefore cannot close the segment because it recognises that a closing mark is missing. It looks like this:

- {0>
- {0>source segment 1<}0{>target segment 1<0}
- {0>
- {0>source segment 2<}0{>target segment 2<0}

If I delete the extra opening marker, i can continue with the translation - but only as far as the next list item.

Once I have gone through the list, deleting the extra segment markers, I then try to clean the document. But Workbench then finds certain markers missing. The cleaned up version contains the source segment twice and the target segment once (all uncleaned). Like this:

- {0>source segment 1<}0{><<{0>source segment 1<}0{>target segment 1<0}
This only applies to lists, not normal text.

Does anyone know why this has happened, and how to fix it?

[Edited at 2011-03-18 17:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:53
English to Czech
+ ...
Use TagEditor instead Mar 18, 2011

Hello Wendy,
I'm quite sure this is not what you want to hear, but I strongly suggest that you use TagEditor as your editing environment rather than Word. Well, if your client doesn't require a bilingual DOC file at least.

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:53
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no can do Mar 18, 2011

Hi Stanislav,

Unfortunately I am often required to use Workbench and, in any event, I really dislike Tageditor!

That aside, since this problem has suddenly materialised, I would really like to know if there is a way of making it, well, dematerialise!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:53
English to Czech
+ ...
No idea Mar 18, 2011

Hi Wendy,
I would have to see the document. There seems to be a mistake somewhere in Word that's causing this. I've never had a similar problem myself, so I'm a little lost...
Anyways, whether you like TagEditor or not, it's much safer to work with. MS Word is not exceptionally well programmed and complex macros like the Trados ones make Word documents even more vulnerable.

Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 18:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
Word ? Mar 18, 2011

Which word version are you using. I have the same problem with trados 2007 with word 2010. The only solution I could find was to correct the extra segments and other errors manualy. Would love to find another solutión though

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007: extra segment marks inserted when translating lists

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search