MT 2009 SP3 freezing when entering a new entry, editing or deleting an existing entry
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:30
English to Russian
Mar 19, 2011

Instead of complaining of an issue I want to report a success in solving a problem (Just for a change).
I had that problem of the application freezing when you try to enter a new entry, edit, or delete an existing entry. I have done everything recommended in the SDL Knowledge Base Article 3420:
- running the MT repair tool downloadable from that article
- deleting all Java files, and reinstalling the one recommended from the Installers folder of the program files
and more, like:
-deleting all MS Visulal C++ Redistributables (2005, 2008, and 2010)and installing the ones recommended by SDL
- upgrading to MT SP4
I have tried all of these separately and in various combinations. The resul was the same. At best, after one successfull attempt, the problem resurfaced.
I had to spend more than 10 hrs on this problem and at the most unpropitious moment when I am working on a terminolgy project and the time is pressing.
After thinking real hard I came to the conclusion that the problem was somehow related to IE, where I had another problem: IE freezing after an attempt to open it or when trying to look up something in any search engine/tool (Google, or Proz WTS). The message appearing on the screen was: "Error during opening an MMF file". I came to the conclusion that these 2 problems were related because somewhere in SDL documentation it was recommended to use IE 6 or higher. So, evidently IE plays a part in this. So, as the last resort I upgraded my IE to IE9. And my problems were gone! Both! Neither IE or MT freeze! I am so jubilant that instead of starting work on my terminology project I am writing this, before I change my mind to be a good Samaritan and report this solution for the benefit of someone else.

[Edited at 2011-03-19 12:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-19 12:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-19 12:27 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy OConnor
Local time: 03:30
Member (2009)
German to English
Positive messages Mar 19, 2011

Hallo, Alexey,

As one who has also battled with MT & Co., I admire your community spirit in spreading good news which might save some-one else a lot of time, sweat and effort.

Let's hope it inspires others to share their success in solving difficult probems.

BFN,
Roy

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT 2009 SP3 freezing when entering a new entry, editing or deleting an existing entry

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search