MT 2009 SP3 freezing when entering a new entry, editing or deleting an existing entry
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:51
English to Russian
Mar 19, 2011

Instead of complaining of an issue I want to report a success in solving a problem (Just for a change).
I had that problem of the application freezing when you try to enter a new entry, edit, or delete an existing entry. I have done everything recommended in the SDL Knowledge Base Article 3420:
- running the MT repair tool downloadable from that article
- deleting all Java files, and reinstalling the one recommended from the Installers folder of the program files
and more, like:
-deleting all MS Visulal C++ Redistributables (2005, 2008, and 2010)and installing the ones recommended by SDL
- upgrading to MT SP4
I have tried all of these separately and in various combinations. The resul was the same. At best, after one successfull attempt, the problem resurfaced.
I had to spend more than 10 hrs on this problem and at the most unpropitious moment when I am working on a terminolgy project and the time is pressing.
After thinking real hard I came to the conclusion that the problem was somehow related to IE, where I had another problem: IE freezing after an attempt to open it or when trying to look up something in any search engine/tool (Google, or Proz WTS). The message appearing on the screen was: "Error during opening an MMF file". I came to the conclusion that these 2 problems were related because somewhere in SDL documentation it was recommended to use IE 6 or higher. So, evidently IE plays a part in this. So, as the last resort I upgraded my IE to IE9. And my problems were gone! Both! Neither IE or MT freeze! I am so jubilant that instead of starting work on my terminology project I am writing this, before I change my mind to be a good Samaritan and report this solution for the benefit of someone else.

[Edited at 2011-03-19 12:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-19 12:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-19 12:27 GMT]

Roy OConnor
Local time: 15:51
German to English
Positive messages Mar 19, 2011

Hallo, Alexey,

As one who has also battled with MT & Co., I admire your community spirit in spreading good news which might save some-one else a lot of time, sweat and effort.

Let's hope it inspires others to share their success in solving difficult probems.

BFN,
Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT 2009 SP3 freezing when entering a new entry, editing or deleting an existing entry

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search