Thread poster: Edward edbradburn

Edward edbradburn
Germany
Local time: 15:55
German to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2011

Hi Folks,

I am getting more 2009 work now and have unfortunately been running into some problems with the new "way of doing things".

Recently, I was handed a project package with 4 files to translate. This package imported into 2009 without any problems and the analysis ("Analyse Files") shows me that I have about 6,000 words to translate. So far, so good.

However, I have discovered the following odd behaviour:

1. Analyse, as said above, states that there are lots of 100% matches, reps and fuzzy matches in the 4 files (as the client has also informed me).

2. Yet if I run the "Pre-translate" command, 2009 complains that there are no translation memories defined. It pre-translates precisely nothing (i.e. the XLIFF files remains untouched).

3. If I then open the XLIFF files one by one in the Editor and start work, 2009 then proceeds to find all the 100% and other matches that it showed me in the "Analyse Files" report, i.e. it does find the necessary matches (100% and less) in the TM as I progress down through the file (with the usual keys, i.e. Ctrl-Enter and so forth.

Now the TM in question (that is clearly being used by 1. and 3. but not by 2.) is a Studio "Project TM".

My question, therefore: why is the pre-translate/analyse command getting a different result than the Editor does, using the exact same TM? Or, to put it another way, why does the Pre-Translate command not use the project TM?

I'll have a look-see around SDL support and so forth to see if I can find the answer, but this is all pretty illogical to me. I could understand it if the project TM was ignored as a source by every command, but to have Analyse work, Pre-Transate not and the the Editor work again is confusing to say the least.

I guess one workaround would be to export the project TM to a "real TM" and then use that to pre-translate but that seems a very odd way of proceeding. [Update: yes, this works fine. Well, that'll do for now I guess :=)]

Disclosure: I'm working on STUDIO Intermediate training right now, so haven't had much experience with the nitty-gritty of project packages and so forth.

Cheers,

Ed

[Edited at 2011-03-19 19:05 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Main TM not attached Mar 19, 2011

Hi Edward,
I believe that the cause of your problems is the fact that your client didn't enclose the main TM to the project package. This would also explain why making your project TM to a main TM delivers results.
Both analysis and pre-translation rely on the main TM.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which TM is mentioned in the setup for pretranslation? Mar 19, 2011

Make sure it is the project TM, enclosed in the package.
This will have the same effect, as what you called "I guess one workaround would be to export the project TM to a "real TM" and then use that to pre-translate but that seems a very odd way of proceeding". You do not need to do so. Just declare the project TM to be the main TM, that's it.

Edward edbradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pretranslation settings are ... where? :=) Mar 19, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

That was what I wanted to try to set up, but before it would not let me and stated that "you cannot set a project TM to be the main TM".

Where does one specify pre-translation settings for this task – Project Settings?

I now get "Unable to find the specified file" when right-clicking on Project Settings.

I could have sworn that that wasn't the case earlier...

Either it's just me, or Studio seems to have a life of its own ...

Update: Something more major seems wrong now ... I now get the same error message on e.g. "Tools | Options". I guess it's back to SDL Support to try and find out what's gone wrong now...

I do have a gigantic stack trace in the Log, which I *can* view. Well, that's something I guess...

Cheers,

Ed

[Edited at 2011-03-19 21:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-19 22:02 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ups, OK - Studio will not be foolished Mar 19, 2011

But you still can follish the software.
Copy the project tm from the tmfolder within the project structure to another location, rename the file and add as a TM. This must work.
Otherwise the pretranslation should also work, when you do that within the project, with the project tm.
Are you sure the files are not already pretranslated?

Sorry, your question about the pretranslation settings: the settings are available when you call the task "Pretranslate". It does not start immediately, but opens one or two screens for configuration - these are the settings you ask for.
As for the error message - did you translate anything in that project? If yes, you have to restore the translation. If not you can just delete the project and receive the package again.
If you need to restore the translation done: copy the SDLXLIFF file from the project target language folder to any location of your choice. Delete project. Recveive the package again, then replace the sdlxliff file from the package in the target language folder by the file you copied previously. Please be aware, that the translation is now only stored in the SDLXLIFF file, but not yet in TM. In order to get it into tm run the "Update project TM" task.

[Edited at 2011-03-19 22:05 GMT]

Edward edbradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I got the files pre-translated Mar 19, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

I got the files pre-translated OK, since I just opened the project TM, exported to TMX, created a new TM and imported and added the new DB as a "main" DB. Worked fine.

But now I have some other problem, as referred to in this thread and a new thread. I can't acccess "Project Settings" or "Tools | Options" any more.

Honestly, I seem to spend more time in Studio finding (or, er, causing) bugs than anything else.

I'll work on the XLIFF files outside Studio tomorrow I think. I'm not risking wasting any more time.

Cheers,

Ed

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
These are not bugs Mar 19, 2011

really, not a software fault in this very case

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translation and project TMs in Studio 2009

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search