[TRADOS STUDIO 2009] Sign off function
Thread poster: betweenbrackets
betweenbrackets
betweenbrackets
Local time: 13:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 20, 2011

Just purchased Trados studio 2009 (quite impressed by all its functions).
At the moment, we're finalizing a translation, the review portion has been done, but I saw there is another function called sign off. Could anyone inform me what this is for? Is it essential, or not that interesting for freelance translators?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Diferent processes Mar 20, 2011

As in the "real" life Studio supports three ways of working with the document, which build a logical chain.
The first is, obviously, the translation. When you translate repeating segments will be autopropagated. After you're done the document has the status "Translated", i.e. each segment has been confirmed. Would you now change a segment with repetition nothing would happen, as autopropagation in confirmed segments is switched off (by default, and good so).
Now as next step you open
... See more
As in the "real" life Studio supports three ways of working with the document, which build a logical chain.
The first is, obviously, the translation. When you translate repeating segments will be autopropagated. After you're done the document has the status "Translated", i.e. each segment has been confirmed. Would you now change a segment with repetition nothing would happen, as autopropagation in confirmed segments is switched off (by default, and good so).
Now as next step you open the document for review. "Segment approved" is a staus which overrides the "Translated" status, so in case of changes in repeated segments the autopropgation will work again.
And the sign-off process is overlayed to review proces, where the "Signed off" status overrides the "Approved" status.

Just for plain translation you do not need to use any other processes than transltion itself. However it is quite wise to change to review modus for proof reading your own translation - this way you can manifest the document has been reviewed to yourself in the future. You will simply see it on the status.
Collapse

Mina Fayek

betweenbrackets
betweenbrackets
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 20, 2011

Much clearer now, thank you.
Apart from the above, is it still possible to finalize (export to clean document) a file, without walking through the review and sign off phases?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Obviously yes Mar 20, 2011

These processes are fully independent - you can finalize or produce target translation via Save target as at any time, even from a not completly translated file (i.e. just to test the bahaviour and make sure your target will be produced).
So depending on the situation you can go through only one, two or even all three processes, but you are not obliged to do so from software point of view.
The reasons for doing or not doing a review or sign-off depend only on you or your customer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[TRADOS STUDIO 2009] Sign off function

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »