Trados 2007 - Windows 7 - 64 bits - Word 2010 - OK?
Thread poster: Traductologique

Traductologique
Local time: 08:18
English to French
+ ...
Mar 23, 2011

Dear all,

I have just bought the Studio 2009 package.

Yet, I am used to Trados 2007 and think I will keep on using this version (until I have attended a good training on Studio 2009).

I am also planning to buy a new PC and some people advise me to choose one with Windows 7 64 bits.

Do you think Trados 2007 - Windows 7 - 64 bits - Word 2010 is a good combination?
Will it work?

I searched the answer on SDL website but could not find any reply...
Should you find one on this website, feel most welcome to send me the link!

Thanks a lot in advance for all your help.

Have a nice sunny day,

Best regards

Emilie
ENG-DUT>FRE freelance translator

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is a bad combination Mar 23, 2011

You can use Trados 207 on Windows 7 Home Premium / Professional / Ultimate 64 (my own experience), but it will not work with Word 2010. Of course you will find some people here in the forum, where it works, but Word 2010 is not officialy supported, so you will get no help in case of problems. To get T2007 working with W2010 you need luck. It works, sometimes it doesn't or some functions are not available all of sudden and so on.
So if you plan a new computer, switch to TagEditor and buy yourself a copy of Office 2003 or as worst case Office 2007. Otherwise problems are programmed.
The best solution will be however to upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2009.

xxxManticore  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
How much RAM do you intend using? Mar 23, 2011

There are many reasons for 64 bit and against it. If you are using 4GB RAM stick to 32bit.

If you intend using more than 4GB RAM by all means take the 64bit version. But keep in mind that there are not many advantages if you continue using 32bit application in conjunction with 64bit applications. Also, almost all peripherals require 64bit drivers.

I had to make the same decision a year ago. For above reasons my Win 7 is 32bit, however my Linux installation is 64 bit thoughout.

Kind regards

Roland Fischer

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have a look at SDL Knoledge base Mar 23, 2011

This article explains what SDL supports and what SDL does not support when using SDL Trados 2007 with Microsoft Office 2010:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3359&p=1

Please note that SDL only supports 32-bits versions of Microsoft Office 2010:

Please be aware that we only support the 32-bit version of MS Office 2010. The 64-bit variant of MS Office 2010 is currently not supported

Daniel

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
office 2010 etc Mar 23, 2011

As Jerzy says, you will find some people here in the forum, where it works. He's right, and I am one of them.

I am a happy, glitch-free user of Trados 2007 (i.e. Workbench in Word environment) - Windows 7 64 bit home premium - Word 2010 prof- Studio 2009 prof.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not so true as it seems to be... Mar 23, 2011

If you go for 64 bit, you will win by better multitasking. In case of Windows 7 there is no significant reason anymore to stick with the 32 bit version, as it was with Win Vista.
My persopnal experience is simple: as soon your hardware does work with 64 bit, go for it.
With Windows 7 you will get also Windows XP (at least with Ultimate).

English to German
+ ...
Only if you use 64bit applications Mar 23, 2011

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If you go for 64 bit, you will win by better multitasking.

You need more RAM and proper 64bit applications that are not mixed with 32bit applications. Otherwise 64bit is worse than 32bit.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not notice any obstacles in that field Mar 23, 2011

My PC runs a vast miuxture of 32 and 64 bit applications and I am more than satisfied with the performance. It is a quad-core Intel 2,5 GHz with 8 GB RAM. The speed is much nicer as the speed of my dual-core 2 GHz laptop with 3 GB of RAM, running Windows XP.
And Windows 7 Ultimate 64 is much better than Vista Home Premium 64, which I have upgraded on that PC without reinstallation. And still it works very well.

English to German
+ ...
Jerzy Czopik Mar 23, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

My PC runs a vast miuxture of 32 and 64 bit applications and I am more than satisfied with the performance. It is a quad-core Intel 2,5 GHz with 8 GB RAM. The speed is much nicer as the speed of my dual-core 2 GHz laptop with 3 GB of RAM, running Windows XP.
And Windows 7 Ultimate 64 is much better than Vista Home Premium 64, which I have upgraded on that PC without reinstallation. And still it works very well.

It helps if you read what I wrote.

Roland Fischer

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I've read your objection regarding mixed applications Mar 23, 2011

but again, I cannot confirm having any problems running mixed applications on my 64 bit system.
OK, I admit I did not test the same machine with 32 bit OS. Did you test exactly the same configuration with 32 and 64 bit OS? Then you are obviously right and I admire your will to do so. Me for one would not have time to even think about such comparison.

English to German
+ ...
Either Mar 23, 2011

you have all drivers for 64bit, more than 4GB RAM and ALL applications are 64bit or you should go for 32bit. When Win 7 came out I did a comaparision between both versions. With 64bit I opened a can of worms. However, if the above conditions are met it's great to have 64bit.

If 64bit was an alternative for a translator why are there not more applications available? It's not that the Win 64bit is a bad OS, just the opposite - but where are the applications? And even if you have a CLEAN 64bit Win 7 the difference becomes only noticeable in extremely RAM hungry tasks like DTP and image manipulating.

Take my word for it.

Roland

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmm Mar 23, 2011

Well, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit,

with an i7 Quad Core i7-950 processor, 12GB of fast RAM, water cooling, and SSD HD for the OS, etc etc,

and ...

Mixed x86 and x64 applications, and my PC runs GREAT. Very fast, and very stable.

I even have Windows XP mode installed and running for the occasional ancient program that won't run any more.

Roland, what exactly do you think is the problem with mixing 64 and 32 bit applications?
I find that the added RAM made possible by the switch to x64 really
outweighs any problems (which I do not even have) caused by mixing 32 and 64 bit apps.

Incidentally, and to return to the thread topic: Trados 2007 works perfectly with Word 2010 here. Although I actually translate in memoQ.

Michael

[Edited at 2011-03-23 14:32 GMT]

Traductologique
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 23, 2011

Dear all,

Many thanks for all these comments!

These will definitively help me a lot.

Best regards

Emilie

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be careful with MultiTerm 2007 Mar 23, 2011

Trados 2007 seems to work fine with Windows 7 64 bits.

However, if you use MultiTerm 2007, you might want to stick to Windows 7 32 bits.

Apparently some people have had problems when trying to install MultiTerm 2007 on Windows 7 64 bits.

There is even a step-by-step guideline:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/123305-how_to_install_multiterm_2007_on_vista_64_howto.html

I haven't tried it myself because I only use MultiTerm 2007 in the office.

At home I have Windows 7 64 bits and have never had any problem with any application old or new, although I am sure MultiTerm 2007 is not the only application which might have problems.

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 - Windows 7 - 64 bits - Word 2010 - OK?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search