How to view TTX file?
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
German to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2011

Hi,

I am a Wordfast Classic and Pro user trying to work on a Trados project for a client. The translation is software-related, and client has told me that the segments in the TTX file provided contain attributes that tell me whether the segment is from the UI or from the help files. This is important information for the translation. However, we have determined that WFPro is stripping these attributes out - I cannot see them while translating the segments in WFPro.

Is there any other way I could view this information? Maybe by just opening the TTX file in a program other than WF so that I can see the attributes as I go along?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Daina

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:35
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
A good example why Mar 23, 2011

This is a good example of why translation companies are often justified in requesting that translators use a specific program to do the job.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree they're justified in requiring certain tools, Mar 23, 2011

but in this case, my client is OK with my tool and is working with me to find workarounds.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:35
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast workaround Mar 23, 2011

Hi Daina,

You drop the TTX file on the WFP title bar to create a TXML file. That's the file you're going to translate with WFP. You make a copy of the TXML file and drop that file on the title bar of Word. Word will present you with the XML data view. Now you start a WFC session. Click OK when Wordfast observes that it's a TXML file that needs tagging. Then Wordfast asks whether you want to convert the file to a segmented DOC file. Click Cancel! Wordfast will tag the file anyway and you'll be able to look under the hood of the file.

Translate the TXML file with WFP. That's safer.

Good luck,
Gerard

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Alternative for using WFC Mar 24, 2011

Download the TTXpress template from http://www.4shared.com/file/68892452/7b40d0b7/TTXpressInstaller2.html

It will convert from ttx to rtf, keeping the TRADOS tags external but visible.

Translate in WFC as usual and use the same template for converting back to ttx.

I just got a doubt. Are you sure that the attributes your customer refers to are in the TTX file and not in the corresponding Translation Memory?

Saludos

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 24, 2011

Thank you!

Gerard - I got to the point of starting a WF Classic session, but it shows me the tags and then tries to translate them. I'll try again.

Jorge - I will try that.

I am definitely translating the files in WF Pro because it produces the result that the client needs, but I do thank you for the options you provided for viewing the TTX files - If I can at least view them, I will have the information I need for the translation.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Argh! Mar 24, 2011

Jorge Payan wrote:

I just got a doubt. Are you sure that the attributes your customer refers to are in the TTX file and not in the corresponding Translation Memory?

Saludos

Of course, it turns out you're right! Apparently, it's a custom tag. Thanks anyway Jorge and Gerard - I will file away your information for the future. Something like this is bound to come up again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to view TTX file?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search