Thread poster: Rodna Ruskovska

Rodna Ruskovska  Identity Verified
Macedonia (FYROM)
Local time: 05:42
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2011

Hi,

I was trying to translate a word file using a TM, some of the segments were normal, readable, but other were not - some strange symbols appeared.

Example:
3D Режим и 3D Слики .................................................. 4
Ïğèêëó÷óâàoeå íà ñèñòåì çà òåëåâèçèñêà äèñòğèáóöè¼à (êàáåëñêà Ò èòí.) ïğåêó ò¼óíåğîò 4
Íîòèôèêàöè¼à çà ëèöåíöà (îïöèîíî) ................................. 4
ÏÎÒÂĞÄÀ ÇÀ ÇÀØÒÈÒÅÍ ÇÍÀÊ ........................................ 4

What could be the problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

Rodna

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:42
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
i'm no expert Mar 23, 2011

but it looks like the font or encoding settings have been changed. It seems your source language is Russian, and if my browser's encoding is set wrong, then those symbols are how it displays cyrillic.

Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source language English, some segments OK Mar 23, 2011

The source language is English,

The example shows how I see the document when I use the TM.

I see some segments correctly (3D Режим и 3D Слики).

And some, or most, not (Ïğèêëó÷óâàoeå íà ñèñòåì çà òåëåâèçèñêà äèñòğèáóöè¼à (êàáåëñêà Ò èòí.) ïğåêó ò¼óíåğîò 4
Íîòèôèêàöè¼à çà ëèöåíöà (îïöèîíî) ................................. 4
ÏÎÒÂĞÄÀ ÇÀ ÇÀØÒÈÒÅÍ ÇÍÀÊ ........................................ 4)

Where is the fault, I wonder?

Thanks!

Rodna

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Language and formatting in Word Mar 23, 2011

Switch do TagEditor or SDL Trados Studio 2009.
If you do not want to, you will have to correct Word formatting and language settings. This may solve the problem, however it may also require hours of work and good knowledge in Word formatting and style usage.
Most probably in your case the local formatting does not match the style used and quite certainly an Asian language is set up in your document.
The only reliable way to avoid such behaviour is to use TagEditor or switch to Studio.

Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same thing in Tageditor Mar 23, 2011

I switched to tageditor and the same thing happens.

I can't switch to Studio - the TM i password protected and I don't have the password so I can't try this option (to convert it to a compatible format).

If the problem are my computer settings, wouldn't I have a problem viewing all sentences written in Cyrillic? (I see some perfectly correct and some, completely illegible).

Could the problem be in the TM settings or something?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Rodna

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is the view in TM correct? Mar 23, 2011

If yes, change the filter setting for Word files to not show display formatting (via Start - Programs ... Trados - Filters - Filter Settings) and create the ttx file again.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
A guess Mar 23, 2011

The sample you pasted looks like a table of contents. All the items are on the same page. Is it possible that the first item is the title of a main section, and the other ones are for subsections? It could be that the subsection titles use a different style that corrupts Cyrillic characters for some reason. You could alter that style or change it altogether, and restore it when you're done.

If there is not a lot of formatting, you could copy and paste the entire text to a new file, remove the formatting, translate and then restore the formatting manually, or - better still - you might be able to use the TM to translate the document automatically and adjust the formatting where necessary.

Good luck!

Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Mar 23, 2011

Adam, congratulations!icon_smile.gif

Great guess, that was the problem.

The headings in the content and wherever they appeared in the text were the problem.

The rest of the text is fine, as it should be.

Thank you all!

I am very grateful.

Kind regards,
Rodna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent! Strange symbols appearing in open segments in Word

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search