Thread poster: Annie Xystouris
Annie Xystouris
Annie Xystouris  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:15
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 23, 2011

I apologize if this has been a asked before but I browsed through the forum and didn't find an answer. It's my first time translating an excel file, and I get the following message: "unable to open excel file: it may be password protected". First of all, are excel files compatible with Trados ? (2009) And secondly, any idea how to solve this so I can translate the file?

Thank you very much.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:15
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Is the file not pwd protected? Mar 23, 2011

Studio is compatible with Excel 2000-2010.
If the file is not pwd protected, but you keep geting this message, save the Excel file in another Excel format available, i.e. E2003 instead of E2007 or vice versa. Then try again.

Shannon Goyette
Shannon Goyette  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
I'm having the same problem Mar 24, 2011

I am actually having this same exact problem. I've asked the client if the file is password protected. (I'm waiting on the answer) It doesn't appear to be, but the way it is set up in Excel is unfortunately not very clear.

Jerzy, I've tried your suggestion of changing the file to a different Excel format. This also doesn't appear to work, as I get the same "file may be password protected" message.

The file was originally supposed to be done in TagEditor, but it had i
... See more
I am actually having this same exact problem. I've asked the client if the file is password protected. (I'm waiting on the answer) It doesn't appear to be, but the way it is set up in Excel is unfortunately not very clear.

Jerzy, I've tried your suggestion of changing the file to a different Excel format. This also doesn't appear to work, as I get the same "file may be password protected" message.

The file was originally supposed to be done in TagEditor, but it had issues in TagEditor. (it would crash for no discernible reason, and added dozens of spaces in front of words, again for no discernible reason)

Jerzy or anyone else, other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Morar Bras
Morar Bras
French to English
+ ...
Microsoft compatibility pack Mar 24, 2011

I was unable to open Excel files with SDL Trados 2009 SP3 and found the following link useful:
http://fra.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/171271-excel_2003_and_trados_studio_2009.html
I downloaded and installed the compatibility pack and now have no problems with Excel file. I don't know if it will solve your problem, but it's worth
... See more
I was unable to open Excel files with SDL Trados 2009 SP3 and found the following link useful:
http://fra.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/171271-excel_2003_and_trados_studio_2009.html
I downloaded and installed the compatibility pack and now have no problems with Excel file. I don't know if it will solve your problem, but it's worth a try.
Good luck
Collapse

Alina - Maria Chiteala
Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:15
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Trados 2009 Mar 25, 2011

Actually, my Trados 2009 does not open excel 2003 files, only excel 2007. I have to make them 2007 and then all is ok. Maybe this is your problem.
To be clear: I cannot open any excel 2003 in trados 2009.

Matteo Ippoliti
Matteo Ippoliti
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 21:15
English to Italian
+ ...
It doesn't work for me Mar 25, 2011

I'm stuck in exactly the same situation as Shannon and Annie... Nothing seems to work for me... It's a 4000 Excel file... Any idea???

[Modificato alle 2011-03-25 23:46 GMT]

Matteo Ippoliti
Matteo Ippoliti
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 21:15
English to Italian
+ ...
Problem solved Mar 28, 2011

In my case I had to create different files for each tab of the Excel file, translate them separately and then put them back together. Although it required several extra hours of work the problem was solved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel trados error

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »