Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Spell check in Trados Studio
Thread poster: xxxIPtranslate
xxxIPtranslate
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 24, 2011

I have searched in past topics, but don't find what I need. As it is rather urgent, I take the liberty of posting my question. If it has been answered before, please direct me to that answer.

The situation is as follows: I have switched from 2007 to Studio 2009 and everything seems to work (although I have to get used to it, but that is normal), except for a detail: I think I have set all the necessary settings in order to carry out a spell check while typing, but it doesn't work. Two things: under Tools, spell check is not active and is greyed out, and when I go under Tools -> options, and try to choose my dictionary, it simply says "custom.dic". As far as I could make up from the help that is available, the dutch dictionary should be present as it is a supported language.....but I don't find it and, therefore, don't know if it is active, or if I have do do something else.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance for your help and ideas

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:17
English to Czech
+ ...
Hunspell dictionaries Mar 24, 2011

Hello,
Studio uses the OS Hunspell dictionaries. If Studio is not delivered with the dictionary for your target language, you can download it for free from the OpenOffice site.

[Upraveno: 2011-03-24 08:31 GMT]

xxxIPtranslate
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dic seems to be present Mar 24, 2011

The dic has been downloaded (at least I can see nl_NL) in the list of custom dics.
However, still nothing is happening and the spell check button (under Tools) remains greyed out.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong; can somebody explain me the procedure as if I were a 5-year old?

Thanks!

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not Custom.dic Mar 24, 2011

Custom.dic files have nothing to do with the native spelling checker. The Custom.dic file only stores items that you add as new correct expressions.
You should be able to see the files nl_NL.dic and nl_NL.aff in Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\HunspellDictionaries

xxxIPtranslate
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is present Mar 24, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Custom.dic files have nothing to do with the native spelling checker. The Custom.dic file only stores items that you add as new correct expressions.
You should be able to see the files nl_NL.dic and nl_NL.aff in Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\HunspellDictionaries

Yes, it is there...but it doesn't work....it doesn't work when I am typing, and the spell check button under tools is still greyed out

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Strange Mar 24, 2011

Strange indeed... Perhaps Paul or someone else from SDL could suggest something?

A stupid question: have you tried simply pressing F7 in the Editor View to see if the spelling checker actually works?

xxxIPtranslate
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thought of that Mar 24, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Strange indeed... Perhaps Paul or someone else from SDL could suggest something?

A stupid question: have you tried simply pressing F7 in the Editor View to see if the spelling checker actually works?

Yes, I tried that...doesn't work...nothing happens...it is as if this feature is not present....

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmm... Mar 24, 2011

IPtranslate wrote:
Yes, I tried that...doesn't work...nothing happens...it is as if this feature is not present....

I warned you my question would be stupid.

I have no other idea though. Sorry about that...

xxxIPtranslate
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could it be? Mar 24, 2011

I thought of the following:

the dictionary for Dutch is nl_NL. For some reason, in Trados a difference is made between nl_BE (Dutch in Belgium) and nl_NL (Dutch in Holland), knowing that the official word list of the language is identical between the two countries.

My translation has nl_BE as target language. Can it be that it refuses to check spelling because there (at least as far as Trados is concerned) no dictionary present for nl_BE?

If so, how can I force the program to use the official dictionary?
Or is there another way around that?

Thanks again.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try amending the config to suit your language Mar 24, 2011

IPtranslate wrote:

I thought of the following:

the dictionary for Dutch is nl_NL. For some reason, in Trados a difference is made between nl_BE (Dutch in Belgium) and nl_NL (Dutch in Holland), knowing that the official word list of the language is identical between the two countries.

My translation has nl_BE as target language. Can it be that it refuses to check spelling because there (at least as far as Trados is concerned) no dictionary present for nl_BE?

If so, how can I force the program to use the official dictionary?
Or is there another way around that?

Thanks again.

The following article is fairly clear on how to amend the language code to use the language you need:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2691&p=1

I think if you change the ISOCODE and DICT in the spellcheckmanager_config.xml to match the flavour you are using then it should work.

Regards

Paul

xxxIPtranslate
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Mar 24, 2011

First: I cannot change anything in the file you mentioned. I get the message that I have no right to write at that location.

Secondly: I don't know if you understood correctly what I suggested....The dic I have is nl_NL (dutch for Holland) as mentioned in the config file. The translation I am carrying out is into dutch for Belgium (nl_BE): I don't like the difference between the two, as there is none (at least not as far as spelling is concerned), but that is the way T is set up. Even if I change the config file to nl_BE, the dic will still be nl_NL, and will not be recognized (of course under the hypothesis that this is the problem)...or am I missing something here?

Thanks

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Permissions? But here's what I did... Mar 24, 2011

IPtranslate wrote:

First: I cannot change anything in the file you mentioned. I get the message that I have no right to write at that location.

Secondly: I don't know if you understood correctly what I suggested....The dic I have is nl_NL (dutch for Holland) as mentioned in the config file. The translation I am carrying out is into dutch for Belgium (nl_BE): I don't like the difference between the two, as there is none (at least not as far as spelling is concerned), but that is the way T is set up. Even if I change the config file to nl_BE, the dic will still be nl_NL, and will not be recognized (of course under the hypothesis that this is the problem)...or am I missing something here?

Thanks

Hi,

First I closed Studio. Then I went to this folder (Note: I have 64-bit hence the x86 part):

c:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\HunspellDictionaries\

In here there are three files of interest for me:

spellcheckmanager_config.xml
nl_NL.dic
nl_NL.aff

First I open the spellcheckmanager_config.xml and add (I know I said edit before but I now want both options for the language variants) the following under the existing one for nl_NL:

<language>
<isoCode>nl-BE</isoCode>
<dict>nl_BE</dict>
</language>

Next, I make a copy of the other two files and rename them as follows:

nl_BE.dic
nl_BE.aff

When I open the file for translation in Studio I now have an active spell checker for nl(BE).

The reason for the variants is because we use the Microsoft National Language Support (NLS) API Reference for many of the automated language specific features in Studio and in here these are both recognised variants.

http://goo.gl/pxWXo

What differences there are between these two flavours... I don't know, but perhaps there are some regional differences that are important for some users to keep seperate?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2011-03-24 12:29 GMT]

xxxIPtranslate
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Mar 24, 2011

I can copy the .dic and .aff files, rename them, and save them.

However, I cannot edit the config file. I open it with Note bloc, modify it, and when I try to save I get the message it (overwriting the other file) I get the message that I don't have the right to do that.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Admin rights? Mar 25, 2011

Try to open the config file in Notepad with admin rights, or move it to a location different from the "Program Files" folder, make your changes, save the file and then copy it back.

xxxIPtranslate
Brazil
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting nowhere Mar 25, 2011

I am really getting nowhere, on the contrary....I did the editing and now the config file (xml) has turned into a text file and I cannot open Trados anymore.....What is happening here?

I am beginning to panic...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell check in Trados Studio

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search