Warning: Don't merge segments in Studio!
Thread poster: Erik Freitag

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Mar 28, 2011

Dear colleagues,

As I've for the umpteenth time encountered the same problem of Studio being unable to produce the target file after finishing a translation, I'd just like to warn you: Just don't use the merge segments function until this issue gets solved! You can never be sure you don't get the dreaded "keyref fails to refer to some key" error message.

Input from SDL staff as to when we can expect this bug to be solved would be most welcome.

FYI: A related thread about this topic: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183070-studio_sp3_corruption_of_sdlxliff_file_when_merging_segments_validation_error.html

Kind regards,
Erik

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can we see the files? Mar 29, 2011

Hi Erik... and anyone else who thinks they have this problem,

It would be useful if you could let me have a copy of the file when you have a problem like this and then we will have something to work with so we can either explain what the issue is, or have a reproducible bug that we need to fix.

I have been through the last mail conversation we had on this subject and cannot see where the problem was actually something we have to fix so I can't comment on your request here.

I am however very happy to look at any sdlxliff files where users have an issue like this and if there is a problem we will fix it. You can send them to support if you have a support contract, or just mail them to me - pfilkin@sdl.com - if you don't.

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you have mail Mar 29, 2011

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your reaction!

I do have a support contract, and I have logged a support case explaining this problem some weeks ago, but no further action was taken. So thanks for the possibility to send you some files where this problem exists.

Kind regards,
Erik

United Kingdom
English
On your support case Mar 29, 2011

Hi Erik,

I'll look out for the mail shortly. In the meantime I asked the Support team to check why there had been no further action and it seems that they were unable to repro the problem with your sdlxliff, so they asked for your Project on the 8th Feb but didn't receive a response, so the case was closed after 3-weeks of not hearing back. Perhaps the email response went into your spam... always worth checking the support portal if you haven't heard... and definitely worth chasing up if you think the response is taking too long.

I'll look at your email later today.

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Mar 29, 2011

Dear Paul,

I've checked and you're right - the ball was indeed in my field. I obviously have overlooked that. Please take my apologies.

Should I just reopen the support ticket?

Kind regards,
Erik

United Kingdom
English
If you don't mind... Mar 29, 2011

efreitag wrote:

Should I just reopen the support ticket?

Kind regards,
Erik

... that would be great. I have to rush for a train shortly and am travelling all day, so this would let me off the hookicon_wink.gif

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done Mar 29, 2011

Done.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,
Erik

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
can't reopen ticket Mar 29, 2011

Dear Paul,

sorry, this is off-topic, but anyway: I've added work info, but it seems I can't re-open the ticket? Clicking on "Reopen" doesn't change the status of the support case (neither in Firefox, nor in IE). The addditional work info seems be accepted though. How can I actually reopen the ticket? Or will this be done by support staff?

Kind regards,
Erik

United Kingdom
English
Support has re-opened the incident Mar 29, 2011

Dear Erik,

Thanks for your kind response. Paul is already running for his train, so I will reply.

At the moment incidents can only be re-opened by the Support team, not on the customer side of the portal. Emails are added automatically, though, so we have all your information send in our system.

Richard from the Support team has re-opened your incident - he will further deal with the issue via the support portal and see if this is something we need to fix on our side.

Best regards,
Judith

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Please do not forget to let us know the outcome Mar 29, 2011

I did not upgrade to Studio yet, but I am thinking about doing it these days. Of course it would be very useful to know the outcome of this.

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Apr 1, 2011

Here's an update: SDL support has confirmed that this is a bug.

Kind regards,
Erik

Kevin Flanagan
French to English
Confirmed bug - how to repair? Apr 5, 2011

Hello Erik

Good to hear this has been confirmed as a bug, as I've hit it again today. I had the problem once before and worked round it by updating the TM, adding the source file to the project again and (rather painstakingly) getting Trados to auto-translate. That would not work very well at all with this project and these files (it would be a slow and error-prone process). Apart from confirming the bug, is there also now a process for repairing the file, say, by making some small change to the sdlxliff file in a text editor?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kevin.

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Apr 5, 2011

Dear Kevin,

I'm sorry, but I don't have any further information and no idea how to prevent this bug from happening. You can try to save the target text from within the editor view, which sometimes works, even if the corresponding batch task in project view doesn't.

That workaround set aside, my general advice is: Don't split/merge segments until this issue has been solved.

Kind regards,
Erik

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:20
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Japanese texts Apr 25, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

As I've for the umpteenth time encountered the same problem of Studio being unable to produce the target file after finishing a translation, I'd just like to warn you: Just don't use the merge segments function until this issue gets solved! You can never be sure you don't get the dreaded "keyref fails to refer to some key" error message.

Sorry that this thread is badly old but Japanese words are split by 2-byte character. Manual line breaks make Trados unusable since one sentence scatters in a number of segments. I just discover that regulating the source texts before creating a Trados bilingual file can be a smarter method than editing source texts in Trados.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Don't merge segments in Studio!

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search