Error message: cannot open file because it contains tracked
Thread poster: Camilla Larsen
Camilla Larsen
Camilla Larsen
Norway
Local time: 06:34
Mar 29, 2011

Hi!

I have a file (word 97-2003 document) that I cannot open, neither in Studio, TE or with Workbench.

Trados gives me this error message:
"This Microsoft Office document cannot be opened because it contains tracked changes that have not been accepted or rejected"

I've checked the file - track changes is not active, there are no changes to accept or reject (no changes are visible, and when I search for changes, Word tells me that there are none).
... See more
Hi!

I have a file (word 97-2003 document) that I cannot open, neither in Studio, TE or with Workbench.

Trados gives me this error message:
"This Microsoft Office document cannot be opened because it contains tracked changes that have not been accepted or rejected"

I've checked the file - track changes is not active, there are no changes to accept or reject (no changes are visible, and when I search for changes, Word tells me that there are none).

I've tried to copy the text to a new file and I've tried to save the file as rtf and then back to doc. I've even tried to delete an image reference to see if that would do the trick, but nothing seems to help.

How can I process this file in Studio (or with TE / Workbench)?

The file contains a lot of references / hyperlinks, I suspect this might have something to do with the difficulties. On the other hand, I have two similar files also with references, and these open just fine.

(My system: Windows 7, 64 bit)
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Re-save in Open Office Mar 29, 2011

Hi Camilla,

Open the file in Open Office and re-save there. This helps in many cases of weird file behavior.

Natalia

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change the filter settings to accept tracked changes Mar 29, 2011

In Studio go to Tools - Options - File types and change the setting for the corresponding Word type.
In fact this is a known Word problem up to version 2003, so saving the document as Word 2007 or maybe opening in OpenOffice and saving as doc should also help.

Camilla Larsen
Camilla Larsen
Norway
TOPIC STARTER
It works! :-) Apr 5, 2011

Thanks Natalie and Jerzy.

Opening and saving the file in Open Office worked fine!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message: cannot open file because it contains tracked

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »