Word 2007 save error and Trados WB OLE/COM error in cleanup.
Thread poster: Vincent Lemma

Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2011

Hello,
The issue at hand has already been tackled in other posts, but all the threads that I have consulted have been ineffective in my case.
I am trying to clean a 60 MB .doc file that contains numerous graphic images.

After I launch Trados Workbench cleanup, I get the following message from word 2007:

"Error: Path or network is unavailable"

with resulting error message from Trados WB

Error 50202-Word could not convert document due to OLE/COM or file name error.

I have done the following:

1) tried to convert to rtf - word 2007 does not let me do it
2) tried to deactivate the "save backup" from the Workbench tools
3) tried to create a new file by "copy and paste" onto a blank work document and save as .rtf, but Word gives me the same network error.
4) checked for blank segments, but have found none (the document is huge and may take a LONG time).
5) Have deactivated the placeholder option in Word 2007 (used to speed up work in translation).
6) checked that the save locations of all fies (memory, bilingual file, log files) are effectively available.
7) closed the bilingual file at cleanup - Trados WB keeps reopening it when I give the cleanup command.

I do not know how to go about resolving this, and do not know if it depends on file size or what.
Any bright ideas?
Thanks a million !!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sectioning the file...... Mar 30, 2011

......is the only thing that seems to be a work-around, but it really bothers me that there is no other solution.
When taking sections of uncleaned document and running clean, the problem seems to subside.
This was done in .doc format.

I also modified the Word 2007 register to avoid rtf conversion with graphics, but this did not help as I was not able to create an rtf from the .doc file.

So, am I doomed to sectioning this document to clean it up? Any help?

Oh, as for hard disk space, I have plenty so that is not the problem.
Cheers.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Run macro Mar 30, 2011

Hello Vincent,
if you have updated your TM, you can simply run the tw4winClean.Main macro. This will clean your document up. Remember that running this macro doesn't back your bilingual document up, so be sure to make a backup copy before you run this macro.

Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that and.... Mar 30, 2011

..it went through well!

I am, however, a bit frustrated to not tackle the problem, as it still eludes me.
Really wonder what could be generating it.

Anyways, that so much Stanislav, owe you one!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007 save error and Trados WB OLE/COM error in cleanup.

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search