Urgent help needed: cannot save clean file
Thread poster: Ali M. Alsaqqa

Ali M. Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:24
English to Arabic
Mar 30, 2011

Dears,

I have a big .ttx file translated using Trados 2009. As there are many tag problems,
I cannot save as target (.doc) using Trados 2009 (The tags are of "cf" type, just a font
tags...)

Now, I have opened this .ttx file using Trados 2007, but when I try to save the target clean file, it says "cannot locate origional file..." I have put the origional file with the same origional name in the directory specified, no way.

I even opened a copy of the .ttx, tryed to changed the Path parameter, no way.

Now as I am in harry, I wonder if someone could help, I will send him the .ttx and the
source .doc, all I want is the target .doc

I hope someone could help me!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Trados 2009 Mar 30, 2011

From Trados 2009, Editor View, press F8. The system will show you a list of errors. As you click on each error, it will take you to the corresponding segment, where you should repair the error (many times this involves repeating the tags that are in your source segment). This may take a while if you have a large document. After this try to obtain your target document in Word.

In my opinion this is one of the great weaknesses of Trados 2009.

[Edited at 2011-03-30 12:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-30 12:36 GMT]

Ali M. Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful ! Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Kobe Vander Beken has kindly helped me, and it worked !

Someday in the past, I helped someone with a similar problem, and now

this kind person helps me.. I think this community is really great !!

Thanks everybody !!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Coul you please be more precise? Mar 30, 2011

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:
In my opinion this is one of the great weaknesses of Trados 2009.

What please is so weak? The fact you can use the veifierr? The fact user can make errors which are then detected by the software? TBH I do not see why the case you specify should be a weeknes of Studio - you refer to a list of errors, which for sure are not caused by the software...

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
English to French
+ ...
To Jerzy Mar 30, 2011

The weakness of Trados 2009 is that it makes you waste a lot of time when you have to navigate around spurious tags, that it suddenly changes fonts in your target segment, that it sometimes just refuses to produce a target document and you can't find the reason why unless you are an expert or consult an expert, that the error messages do not refer to anything useful in the Help section. That after using Trados 2009 nearly every day since... 2009 I still find it very cumbersome. This tool was meant to make translation easier and faster, wasn't it?

[Edited at 2011-03-30 17:32 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio does NOT change font... Mar 30, 2011

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:

The weakness of Trados 2009 is that it makes you waste a lot of time when you have to navigate around spurious tags

And what is in other tools? No tags? Only in Word I assume...
that it suddenly changes fonts in your target segment

It does do that ONLY when tags are missing. But you can easily change this by not showing any formatting in Studio. This is BTW the best way to work, as the "formatting" on the screen in Studio doesn't really matters, as long the tags are in correct order.
that it sometimes just refuses to produce a target document and you can't find the reason why unless you are an expert or consult an expert

Test the file before you start. If the target is not produced, the file is corrupt and you have time to ask the customer or anyone else for help. If the target is produced, it will work also after the translation.
that the error messages do not refer to anything useful in the Help section.

The help is being revamped nearly every day. Do you use online or local help?
That after using Trados 2009 nearly every day since... 2009 I still find it very cumbersome. This tool was meant to make translation easier and faster, wasn't it?

It does.

It's like a new car. You have had a manual gear shift and 60 HP. Now you've bought yourself a car with automatic transmission and 300 HP, but you get sliddering in turns... That's normal, get used to it or take some training. Use the acceleration pedal in moderate way.

I am using Studio since the very first beta release back in 2009. I do also provide training for users and have written a manual for Studio. And I did provide training for Trados 2007. From trainers point of view Studio is much easier to explain than Trados 2007. Its user interface is more logical and the processes are clearer. No terminology mess with cleanup for files which cannot be cleaned up, but remain bilingual for ever, no problems with file names, overwriting source files (when using prjojects), glueing and unglueing files and so on.

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Mar 30, 2011

Thank you Jerzy for the useful information. I see you are much more expert in this than I can ever dream to be (just by the number of answers you provide in this forum).

I can't talk about other tools, as I haven't used them for too long.

In my case Trados 2009 really sometimes changes the font of the target segment as soon as I start writing in it; this happens when the source segment includes italics or bold characters (and no tags to that effect seem to appear in the source segment, just the italics or bolds).

Now how do you "not show any formatting", do you just choose "Tag display mode, No tag text"? And then how do you know that the tags are in the correct order?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Go to Tools - Editor Mar 30, 2011

and chose the option "Show all tags, but do not show formatting".
This will prevent Studio from any font changes - because no formatting information will be shown. However, you will need to deal with tags.
For normal formatted files not that big problem, there shouldn't be so many tags.
In other cases it is really a good idea to do some preparation on files, ie removing unnecessary formatting like spacing differences and so on.
Unfortunately it is not possible to describe every single option in this forum.
But maybe you're interested in Webinar on tags - this will be organized in the near future by IAPTI. Please contact me off list and I'll give you details.

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Strongly recommend this approach Mar 31, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Go to Tools - Editor and chose the option "Show all tags, but do not show formatting".
This will prevent Studio from any font changes - because no formatting information will be shown. However, you will need to deal with tags.
For normal formatted files not that big problem, there shouldn't be so many tags.
In other cases it is really a good idea to do some preparation on files, ie removing unnecessary formatting like spacing differences and so on.

On Jerzy's recommendation (as I remember), I started using this approach about two months back. I strongly recommend it. No more trips to the options to zoom, and no more Times New Roman, just plain old, easy-to-read Ariel.
The only drawback I've experienced is that comments aren't visible inline, although they can be accessed using the appropriate selection on the Filter toolbar.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help needed: cannot save clean file

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search