Trados 2007: Error 5 & purple characters such as
Thread poster: ryomanabe
Mar 31, 2011

Hello

I normally use Trados 2009 on Windows 7, but now I'm asked to do a translation project on Trados 2007. I'm not familiar with Trados 2007 but, anticipating compatibility issues, I started by installing Word 2003 (without uninstalling Word 2010, which is what I normally use) before launching Trados 7 (Build 863).

In Word 2003, I activated the add-in file, trados8.dot, and all tools appear on the screen, so it seemed to be working.

It was working fine for a while, then, perhaps because I launched Word 2010 on the side to work on something else, back in Word 2003/Trados 2007, both the original text and the translation appear along with purple characters such as "

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why not produce a ttx file? Mar 31, 2011

Instead of making you trouble create a ttx file using TagEditor from Trados 2007 and then open it in Studio and work in familiar environment.

ryomanabe
TOPIC STARTER
Work in Trados 2009 then convert files (inc. TM file) back to 2007 format? Mar 31, 2011

Thank you so much for your swift reply, Jerzy!

I noticed that my initial post was truncated because I had used "greater than" symbols. sorry.
I read your response, Jerzy, and have a question, but could I first describe the rest, in case any of that will change your suggestion...

I went on to say:

"... purple characters such as "{0" and "{100}", AND when I open and close segments, I started getting "Error 5: invalid procedures..." (sorry I didn't write down this error message exactly and now it's gone..)
Eventually I got completely stuck, not being able to close the segment I was on.

So I restarted the computer and re-created the project file to start from scratch. So far, I haven't gotten the "error 5" but I do see the both texts and purple tags...

When I switch the view on Word to "Preview" mode, or if I copy and paste the entire document into another blank text document, those characters don't show up and I only see the translated text, which is exactly what I want. Thank you in advance for your help!!"

Now, I'm totally embarrassed, but because of my lack of knowledge, I couldn't quite understand your suggestion. By "Studio" = "familiar environment," are you suggesting that I work in Trados 2009 and somehow convert the resulting files (inc. TM file) into 2007-compatible? I've never used the TagEditor so it's hard to know the advantage of using it in this case...

Just to clarify, I was provided with a few Word documents with no HTML tags or anything special, just pure text, as well as one translation memory file made for trados 2007. No multi-term related files or anything else for that matter, and I'm supposed to submit finished text files and the updated TM file.

It would be great if I could in fact work in Trados 2009 and end up with files AS IF I worked in 2007 - is this possible??

Thank you so much for your attention & thank you in advance for your input. (and again, sorry for my infantile knowledge in Trados 2007..)

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Working with Studio 2009 = deliverable will be a TTX format Mar 31, 2011

To make your work as efficient as possible do the following:
- Convince the customer he will not get a bilingual Word file but a bilingual TTX file, which he can use to update his translation memory in 2007. You can argument, that the Word file is making problems.
- Now open the translation memory in Workbench. There, via Tools use the option Translate.
When you start this feature click Options on the right side, chose Translation Memory Options. There make sure the "TRADOStag XML workflow for Word *.doc files" is SELECTED.
Press ok.
Add the file to be translated (it may NOT have any changes stored when you worked with Trados on it, so take a fresh untranslated copy of the file) and press the button "Translate".
This will create a TTX file in the same folder where the doc file was located. Take this TTX file, open in Studio and translate as usual.
When you're done, in Studio use "Save target as". This will give you the option to save as TTX AND as DOC. Deliver both to the customer and you're done.

ryomanabe
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 31, 2011

Thank you very much Jerzy for generously sharing your time and expertise!!

As you suggested, I will make the argument and see what the client says. Regardless of what I'll have to do with this particular project, I'm glad to know there's such a great workaround.

Thank you!

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Working for a translation studio? Mar 31, 2011

I don't use Trados but I use SDL Studio and previously I used SDLX. When working for translation studios that use Trados, they send me the TTX file, I import it into Studio and do the translation as usual. Export it back into TTX and return it in this form, not in Word. They then convert it back to Word after review.

This system makes life a lot easier, not only for me but for them as well. Maybe this is what you should do next time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007: Error 5 & purple characters such as

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search