"table-in-table" causing corrupted Word-file (Studio 2009 Pro)
Thread poster: Goetz und Weise

Goetz und Weise
Germany
Local time: 03:18
Mar 31, 2011

Hi,
I've been using Trados Studio 2009 Pro for a while now, but always got the same problem:
We have a company-specific layout based on tables.
And this basic layout makes it necessary to insert another table in an existing table cell, creating a table in a table.
Now, the documents work fine except for ONE in 20 table-in-table sections.
If I convert to SDLXLIFF and save source or target as Word document (for testing), I always get a corrupted Word document where this specific table is scattered over multiple pages looking a mess.

Now, when I simply remove the whole inside table I got no problem at all - despite there being some more table-in-table sections in the document.

Have you ever experienced anything like that and maybe even got a solution (except for copy/pasting the table into another empty document)?

Thanks for your help,

Christina

Goetz & Weise
Christina Heger
+49 911 70456861
christina[.]heger[at]goetzundweise[.]de


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:18
French to English
+ ...
Same problem Mar 31, 2011

Hello Christina,

I don't think I have a solution, but I am experiencing a strange problem when preparing a project, and I think the "table within table" problem may be happening to me too. I would be interested to hear if you have a response from SDL.

My document is otherwise not too complicated so I think I will just remove the table and put it in a new document for translation.

UPDATE: removing the embedded tables and putting them into a new document solved the problem for me - so tables within tables do indeed cause problems for Studio. I wouldn't have thought of this as a solution if I hadn't seen Christina's message this morning.

[Edited at 2011-03-31 14:02 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:18
English to Czech
+ ...
Never had this Mar 31, 2011

Hello Christina,
I've never had this, but the only things that come to my mind are:
1. Have you tried verifying the document? (Sorry, I know it's a stupid question, I'm almost certain you have, so just in case.)
2. Have you tried the "DOC => TTX => SDLXLIFF => TTX => DOC" workflow to see how TagEditor is doing? Perhaps it may help a little as a workaround.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:18
English
field in table within table + workaround Mar 31, 2011

Dear Christina,

Is it possible that you have a table, that contains another table and then in the that second table, there is a field included?

This combination is indeed an issue in Studio and currently scheduled to get fixed later this year.

The workaround for this issue should be to save your docx file as doc and use that in Studio for your translation. After you have created your target-doc file, you can then convert it back to the original docx-format, if required.

Best regards,
Judith


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Goetz und Weise
Germany
Local time: 03:18
TOPIC STARTER
TTX no sulution for me Mar 31, 2011

I've tried TTX - same problem, tried working in Word directly... don't ask: The table was "ok somehow" sometimes, but the document was rather messy in the end.
I got to handle about a large number of documents like this every week and I just don't want to keep cutting/pasting the annoying bit into another document.
It takes up time I don't have and is annoying people when I'm not in the office to handle the translation workflow.

I need to look at the "field in table" thing - we actually do use text fields in that table...

I'll let you know when I find out something.

Thanks for the help so far

Christina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 04:18
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
No docx please Mar 31, 2011

I always ask clients to send .doc files, I don't have time to solve problems caused by .docx files.

Selcuk


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"table-in-table" causing corrupted Word-file (Studio 2009 Pro)

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search