https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/195608-%22table_in_table%22_causing_corrupted_word_file_studio_2009_pro.html

"table-in-table" causing corrupted Word-file (Studio 2009 Pro)
Thread poster: Goetz und Weise
Goetz und Weise
Goetz und Weise
Germany
Local time: 01:53
Mar 31, 2011

Hi,
I've been using Trados Studio 2009 Pro for a while now, but always got the same problem:
We have a company-specific layout based on tables.
And this basic layout makes it necessary to insert another table in an existing table cell, creating a table in a table.
Now, the documents work fine except for ONE in 20 table-in-table sections.
If I convert to SDLXLIFF and save source or target as Word document (for testing), I always get a corrupted Word document where th
... See more
Hi,
I've been using Trados Studio 2009 Pro for a while now, but always got the same problem:
We have a company-specific layout based on tables.
And this basic layout makes it necessary to insert another table in an existing table cell, creating a table in a table.
Now, the documents work fine except for ONE in 20 table-in-table sections.
If I convert to SDLXLIFF and save source or target as Word document (for testing), I always get a corrupted Word document where this specific table is scattered over multiple pages looking a mess.

Now, when I simply remove the whole inside table I got no problem at all - despite there being some more table-in-table sections in the document.

Have you ever experienced anything like that and maybe even got a solution (except for copy/pasting the table into another empty document)?

Thanks for your help,

Christina

Goetz & Weise
Christina Heger
+49 911 70456861
christina[.]heger[at]goetzundweise[.]de
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:53
French to English
+ ...
Same problem Mar 31, 2011

Hello Christina,

I don't think I have a solution, but I am experiencing a strange problem when preparing a project, and I think the "table within table" problem may be happening to me too. I would be interested to hear if you have a response from SDL.

My document is otherwise not too complicated so I think I will just remove the table and put it in a new document for translation.

UPDATE: removing the embedded tables and putting them into a new document solv
... See more
Hello Christina,

I don't think I have a solution, but I am experiencing a strange problem when preparing a project, and I think the "table within table" problem may be happening to me too. I would be interested to hear if you have a response from SDL.

My document is otherwise not too complicated so I think I will just remove the table and put it in a new document for translation.

UPDATE: removing the embedded tables and putting them into a new document solved the problem for me - so tables within tables do indeed cause problems for Studio. I wouldn't have thought of this as a solution if I hadn't seen Christina's message this morning.

[Edited at 2011-03-31 14:02 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Never had this Mar 31, 2011

Hello Christina,
I've never had this, but the only things that come to my mind are:
1. Have you tried verifying the document? (Sorry, I know it's a stupid question, I'm almost certain you have, so just in case.)
2. Have you tried the "DOC => TTX => SDLXLIFF => TTX => DOC" workflow to see how TagEditor is doing? Perhaps it may help a little as a workaround.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
field in table within table + workaround Mar 31, 2011

Dear Christina,

Is it possible that you have a table, that contains another table and then in the that second table, there is a field included?

This combination is indeed an issue in Studio and currently scheduled to get fixed later this year.

The workaround for this issue should be to save your docx file as doc and use that in Studio for your translation. After you have created your target-doc file, you can then convert it back to the original docx-format
... See more
Dear Christina,

Is it possible that you have a table, that contains another table and then in the that second table, there is a field included?

This combination is indeed an issue in Studio and currently scheduled to get fixed later this year.

The workaround for this issue should be to save your docx file as doc and use that in Studio for your translation. After you have created your target-doc file, you can then convert it back to the original docx-format, if required.

Best regards,
Judith
Collapse

Goetz und Weise
Goetz und Weise
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
TTX no sulution for me Mar 31, 2011

I've tried TTX - same problem, tried working in Word directly... don't ask: The table was "ok somehow" sometimes, but the document was rather messy in the end.
I got to handle about a large number of documents like this every week and I just don't want to keep cutting/pasting the annoying bit into another document.
It takes up time I don't have and is annoying people when I'm not in the office to handle the translation workflow.

I need to look at the "field in table" thi
... See more
I've tried TTX - same problem, tried working in Word directly... don't ask: The table was "ok somehow" sometimes, but the document was rather messy in the end.
I got to handle about a large number of documents like this every week and I just don't want to keep cutting/pasting the annoying bit into another document.
It takes up time I don't have and is annoying people when I'm not in the office to handle the translation workflow.

I need to look at the "field in table" thing - we actually do use text fields in that table...

I'll let you know when I find out something.

Thanks for the help so far

Christina
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:53
English to Turkish
+ ...
No docx please Mar 31, 2011

I always ask clients to send .doc files, I don't have time to solve problems caused by .docx files.

Selcuk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"table-in-table" causing corrupted Word-file (Studio 2009 Pro)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »