"You have to switch to the project source language in order to add files"
Thread poster: Neha Mohan
Neha Mohan
Neha Mohan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
French to English
Mar 31, 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to add files to an existing project in Trados Studio 2009 as per the general instructions given in 'Help'.

I have successfully done this earlier on, but now I'm getting the error:
"You have to switch to the project source language to add files".

Does anybody know the reason behind this problem and the solution to it?

Additional information: I have tried it with all existing projects, so it is not project specific.
... See more
Hi,

I'm trying to add files to an existing project in Trados Studio 2009 as per the general instructions given in 'Help'.

I have successfully done this earlier on, but now I'm getting the error:
"You have to switch to the project source language to add files".

Does anybody know the reason behind this problem and the solution to it?

Additional information: I have tried it with all existing projects, so it is not project specific.

Kindly help.

Thank you
Best regards

Neha

PS: I can't think of what more information might be required to solve this query so please feel free to ask for it.
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:32
English to French
+ ...
Files Mar 31, 2011

In the Files section, on your left you see a drop-down menu with the current target language. Click on that menu, you will then see the Source language (and the target language(s)). Select the source language. Add file and prepare it.

Hope this helps.

Marie-Claude

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Found at proz technical forums Mar 31, 2011

Here is the reply of our colleague Elina Andriamananahasinoro, found at the forums here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149878-adding_another_new_file_to_already_created_project_in_trados_studio.html

She wrote:

"You have to switch to "Files" view. Then, on the top left pane,
... See more
Here is the reply of our colleague Elina Andriamananahasinoro, found at the forums here http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149878-adding_another_new_file_to_already_created_project_in_trados_studio.html

She wrote:

"You have to switch to "Files" view. Then, on the top left pane, you have got a drop down menu with your source and target languages. Select your source language. Now, you can add other files to your project."

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:32
English to French
+ ...
;) Mar 31, 2011

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

She wrote:

"You have to switch to "Files" view. Then, on the top left pane, you have got a drop down menu with your source and target languages. Select your source language. Now, you can add other files to your project."

Regards

Clarisa

That's exactly what I said

Neha Mohan
Neha Mohan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 31, 2011

Thank you Marie-Claude. This does help.

Thanks for the link Clarisa. I admit I should have searched the forum before posting this question. Sincere apologies.

Have a good day(/evening) both of you.

Thanks again.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I had the same issue in the past! Mar 31, 2011

Dear Neha

I was faced to the same issue in the past, and I remember I solved browsing the Proz forums and asking at the TW Yahoo list. SDL Studio has many features and it is not easy to learn them all! It is great to share the known info.

Marie-Claude, it is great we both provided the same reply! It means that there is a single solution for this issue (My reply arrived one minute later as I was browsing the forums, and copying/pasting the info!)

Kind regar
... See more
Dear Neha

I was faced to the same issue in the past, and I remember I solved browsing the Proz forums and asking at the TW Yahoo list. SDL Studio has many features and it is not easy to learn them all! It is great to share the known info.

Marie-Claude, it is great we both provided the same reply! It means that there is a single solution for this issue (My reply arrived one minute later as I was browsing the forums, and copying/pasting the info!)

Kind regards!

Clarisa
Collapse

Nuri Razi
Nuri Razi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:32
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
It worked for me, too! Mar 5, 2012

Dear Marie-Claude, Thank you for the tip. It worked for me as well.

Suzanne Smart (X)
Suzanne Smart (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:32
Italian to English
+ ...
doesn't work for me! Oct 22, 2012

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem (ib Studio 2011 though) and changing the language in the drop-down menu doesn't make any difference. I still get the same error message.
I accidentally added the folder containing the TM files instead of the folder containing the files for translation and now I can't get rid of the TM files and add the translation files!

Suzanne Smart (X)
Suzanne Smart (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:32
Italian to English
+ ...
progress (of sorts)! Oct 22, 2012

Hang on, I've just solved the problem and replaced it with another (aaarrrgh!!!). I discovered that French is also in the drop-down box, switched to that and it allowed me to add the files I wanted. Just one problem though. This project is supposed to be Italian to English! I certainly did not add French when I specified the languages so why is it there and why does it think French is the source language?! More to the point, how do I get it to use Italian as the source?

Roland Galibert
Roland Galibert  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:32
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Thanks - Convert to Translatable Format may also be necessary Aug 22, 2013

Thank you very much, Marie-Claude and Clarisa, I was having the exact same "problem" and your suggestions fixed it. FYI in my own situation, after I added the (Word) file, I also had to right-click on it and select "Convert to Translatable Format" to convert it to a sdlxliff file so I could edit it in the bilingual editor. Apparently Trados doesn't do this automatically, and the first time I clicked on the new file it was opened up in Word instead of the Studio editor.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"You have to switch to the project source language in order to add files"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »