Trados Studio - add text field value to more than one entries ?
Thread poster: zirle
Apr 4, 2011

When I was working with Trados 2007, I used to assign a text field from the "project and filter settings" section to my translation units (order number + product type), the name of the translator being automatically assigned to each entry. I have now started using Trados Studio and I can find out how to create text fields and assign them to existing translation units, but not how to assign them automatically to each unit while translating. I would be very grateful for some hints from experienced users.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:46
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In Project Settings Apr 4, 2011

All Language Pairs - Translation Memory and Automated Translation - Update

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
KB Article # 3536 Apr 4, 2011

Dear zirle,

You may want to have a look at KB Article # 3536: How to create Custom Fields in SDL Trados Studio (http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3536&p=1).

Best regards,
Judith

zirle
TOPIC STARTER
one last question Apr 4, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

All Language Pairs - Translation Memory and Automated Translation - Update

Thanks a lot for your help! So if I understood well, once I will have finished my translation and updated the memory using the corresponding batch task, these text fields will be assigned to all new translation units added by this process ?

SweLoc
English to Swedish
+ ...
Adding text fields to every TU while translating Jul 6, 2012

Has someone found out how to add text fields automatically to every new segment when you set them to the TM (just like in 2007)? In that case would it be possible to get a walkthrough, with all steps included all the way from a freshly re-booted computer. I have 13+ years of using Trados (and several other tools), but I can't figure out how to add values to a text field in Trados 2011...

Setup
- TM with the text field 'End client' (at least it's visible when I have the TM open in maintenance view, so I think I have managed to add it).

All Language Pairs - Translation Memory and Automated Translation - Update, as stated by Jerzy below: 'End client' field populated with 'Client A', both in Tools -> Options and Project Settings just to be sure.

Now, when using the Confirm and Move to Next Segment it should be added to the TU, right? It isn't. The value I had entered for the last job 'Client B' was entered for a couple of segments (although the setting had 'Client A'), then I tampered with the settings, so now nothing is added, neither 'Client A' nor 'Client B'. The value is not added when running Finalize either.

Also, can someone confirm that you can just add more values to the text fields instead of overwriting the value, or adding a new segment (again, just like in 2007)?

[Redigerad 2012-07-06 13:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio - add text field value to more than one entries ?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search