SDLX Freelance 2007 TagEditor does not work at all, synergy crashes
Thread poster: Sunny 2005

Sunny 2005
English
Apr 4, 2011

My computer died and I had to get a new one and install Trados again. I have Windows XP and MS Office 2007. The installation seemed to have worked, no error messages but now it crashes every time I want to create a new project, just as I get to the bit where you need to add the source files. I am also unable to open any existing project and the interface : Start, Today, Projects etc, which used to be blue is now grey/white.

I have emailled support, I have tried to repair, to regegister: nothing. I have now lost two days work, the kids are hungry and want me off the computer and Im not even sure I can meet my deadline anymore, its a nightmare!

I hope someone is able to help me sort this out, i really dont know what else to do...

Thank you

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:40
French to German
+ ...
We need precise information about your environment Apr 4, 2011

In order to help you, we require that you give us accurate information about your environment. Unfortunately, what you posted is more than inaccurate and conflicting because there is no such program as 'SDLX Freelance'. And 'TagEditor' is part of 'SDL Trados 2007 Freelance', which is a different product from SDLX.

Then you mention that Synergy crashes: what do you need Synergy for at all?

Maybe the problem shows up because you did not install the correct SW components. Which version did you install?

Walter

Sunny 2005
English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is called SDL Trados 2007 Freelance Apr 4, 2011

I am not sure what else is conflicting, sorry. My version includes SDLX, which I have never actually used.

All I do is click on the SDL Trados 2007 icon (which opens Synergy) and then on create project as I have done for the past two years.

I do not know what SW components are?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 and SDLX are two separate pieces of SW Apr 4, 2011

How do you translate your documents? If you use Tag Editor, you do not need SDLX and you do not necessarily need Synergy. Most people do not use Synergy at all but open their document in Tag Editor (or Word) and translate them.

This does not mean however that Synergy should not work, but it is difficult from the information you gave us to tell what is going wrong here.

I suggest you uninstall the whole suite and reinstall the latest version (build 863) to see if that solves your problem. You may also try to see if you can work without Synergy, directly with Tag Editor and Workbench, hopefully this works fine.

Walter

Sunny 2005
English
TOPIC STARTER
TegEditor is the problem Apr 5, 2011

Yes, I use TagEditor to translate my files but dont I need synergy to create my projects (attach TMs and glossaries etc...) ? Anyway, synergy works, it is a problem with TagEditor. It keeps crashing everytime I try to add source files or view already translated files...

I already have 386 installed! Trados customer service are completely useless. They just wont answer me at all. This is completely unacceptable, this programme is expensive enough. It worked fine before I had to reinstall it on a different computer because mine old one broke. Still, it is an installation issue and they should help with that. Its been three days. Yesterday I was so stressed I eneded up crying and I hardly ever cry at all. Im going to lose money, clients and lots of time for a program where the license costs about 500 quid, it is appalling and I will be causing a fuzz! There must be somewhere I can complain, there must be somone able to sort this out. I really need to get back to work!!!!

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
sorry Apr 5, 2011

Sorry, but what do you mean with "adding source files" within TagEditor?
Do you mean opening new (untranslated) RTF, DOC whatever file in TagEditor window? Or does this procedure still refer to Synergy?
Can you actually open anything in TagEditor? If not and a crash follows, is there any error message?

[Edited at 2011-04-05 18:55 GMT]

Sunny 2005
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your reply Apr 5, 2011

Ah, after reinstalling everything, I now have the option of opening and working with TagEditor on its own. Thank God! So, it seems to be a problem with Synergy, even though I can open it and start creating a new project, it crashes as soon as I am trying to add source files. You were both right, sorry to confuse you but I have been working this way for two years and never really had any problems with it before so to be fair, I dont really know how all the different components work together... At least I can get back to work now.... Phew!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Confusing and confused Apr 5, 2011

Hi "Sunny",
I'm sorry but I find your information quite confusing.

Yes, I use TagEditor to translate my files but dont I need synergy to create my projects (attach TMs and glossaries etc...) ? Anyway, synergy works, it is a problem with TagEditor. It keeps crashing everytime I try to add source files or view already translated files...

You can't add any files to an existing Synergy project. You can only create new projects. So, does TagEditor crash occur when opening a new file, or what?

I already have 386 installed!

What do you mean by "386"? Are you referring to a Trados build? The latest legacy one is "863". So is "386" a typo?

Trados customer service are completely useless. They just wont answer me at all. This is completely unacceptable, this programme is expensive enough.

You need to purchase a Support Agreement if you want to receive premium support from SDL. However, the SDL Support guys are watching this Forum, so with any luck they may be able to answer your questions.

It worked fine before I had to reinstall it on a different computer because mine old one broke. Still, it is an installation issue and they should help with that. Its been three days. Yesterday I was so stressed I eneded up crying and I hardly ever cry at all. Im going to lose money, clients and lots of time for a program where the license costs about 500 quid, it is appalling and I will be causing a fuzz! There must be somewhere I can complain, there must be somone able to sort this out. I really need to get back to work!!!!

Crying hardly ever helps. Instead, have you tried opening your TTX files in a different tool, such as MemoQ or WordFast? That may be a good workaround until you get TagEditor to work again.

ETA: Tomas has a good point: do you receive any error message from TagEditor?

[Upraveno: 2011-04-05 13:12 GMT]

Sunny 2005
English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Im talking about adding source files to Synergy Apr 5, 2011

When creating a new project, I get to the point where I am meant to add the source files. And if I want to view existing projects (imported from my old computer), it crashes too. The interface has also changed colour. No error messages. It just crashes. Crying helps me to release stress and pressure and it works for me but perhaps I should invest in a punch bag instead lol... Oh, and yes, it was a typo (I was talking on the phone when I wrote this). I am now able to use TagEditor on its own without synergy, so work may commence... icon_wink.gif

As per the service agreement: well, I believe this is an installation problem as it worked fine on my old computer and only started to play up when i reinstalled it, so they should help me solve this issue. There is also no service agreement for this version of Trados, I would first have to upgrade... Bit cheeky if you ask me. If this continues and peoeple keep having problems all the time or are forced to upgrade a product all the time, which there is no support for, I hope both clients and translators wake up and start using a different product.

Thank you all for your help and sorry for the confusion. I was upset and stressed and not communicating very well by the looks of it.

I shall complete this job using TagEditor and investigate alternatives.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to make the window of TagEditor just half the width of your screen Apr 5, 2011

and then open the file in question again. Does it work?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Good to hear that Apr 5, 2011

Sunny 2005 wrote:
Oh, and yes, it was a typo (I was talking on the phone when I wrote this). I am now able to use TagEditor on its own without synergy, so work may commence... icon_wink.gif

This is where I was heading: forget about Synergy, open and edit individual files in TagEditor and you will have less headaches and less reasons to cry.icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX Freelance 2007 TagEditor does not work at all, synergy crashes

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search