Trados' wordcount/Word's wordcount - discrepancies
Thread poster: Trine Mühlhausen

Trine Mühlhausen  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to Danish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2011

I have a word document, converted from .pdf, which I want to translate in Trados Studio. Now, there are two large tables, which Trados leave out, yet Trados and Words show an almost similar wordcounts.

My question is this: Is Trados counting the words in the tables even though the tables are not contained in the .sdlxliff file?

THANKS!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 12:54
English to French
+ ...
Word count MSWord Apr 5, 2011

Word count in MSWord omits certain types of tables. The best way to check: delete your table or part of it, and look at the word count again. If it is the same, the table wasn't counted.

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:54
French to English
+ ...
Probably not counted Apr 5, 2011

If the word count in Trados is similar to that in Word, then it is likely these tables have not been counted. Because of the different word-counting rules that the two pieces of software employ, Word counts in Trados tend to be slightly higher (sometimes very much so) than in Word.

It seems strange that Trados has ignored the tables; perhaps they have been converted into images for some reason...

Greece
Greek to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I apologize for my typos and grammar errors in my first post Apr 5, 2011

but this has given me a headache.

Yes, it is strange that Trados leaves the tables out, which I now have to translate without the help of a CAT-tool. And the tables are huge...

I had problems with the word document from the very beginning. The translated Word document Trados generates contains text in boxes, which makes the layout a mess!

Thanks to both of you for your time and answers!

Best,
Trine

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
English
KB article # 3298 Apr 6, 2011

Dear Trine and all,

Without seeing the file it is a bit difficult to explain the exact reason, but I would suspect that if the text in the table is not recognized, it is also not counted. Depending on the type of data in your text, you may end up with similar results, for example because Word counts only 1 for the string "dark/light", whereas our tools would count 2 words. Other possible differences are explained in KB article #3298.

However, Studio should definitely be able to deal with tables in Word! You mention that your Word file comes from pdf and that after translation you end up with text fields. That suggests a rather non-default way in which the table has been defined in your source Word file.

If you are working with a docx-file, can you convert it into doc-format, or vice versa? Sometimes switching Word filter may help you working around the issue.

And do you still have the original format available from which the pdf was created? That would be even better, as you very often lose or change formatting information if you convert a pdf into Word. If still relevant, please send your problematic Word file (jjong@sdl.com) and I'll have a look.

Best regards,
Judith

Greece
Greek to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Relevant documents e-mailed Apr 6, 2011

Thank you, Judith!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados' wordcount/Word's wordcount - discrepancies

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search