Does TMX memory export (import) format support hard breaks?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:12
Member (2008)
English to Czech
Apr 5, 2011

While exchanging TM exports with a colleague, I noticed that neither his Studio 2009 TM export into TMX nor my export from Workbench 2007 into TMX contain the hard breaks used in the memory itself.

Is this some mistake, incorrect export settings of our TMs, or are these elements really ignored with TMX?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
... Apr 6, 2011

No similar experience / suggestions anyone?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
What do you call a "hard break"? Apr 6, 2011

I am not sure what you mean by "hard break".

Do you mean a 'hard return" like a 'paragraph' in Word or an 'unbreakable space'?

A 'hard return" causes text to be segmented in SDL Trados and will therefore unlikely appear inside a TU.

Walter

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
yes Apr 6, 2011

Sorry, I mean non-breaking spaces:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space

I know your answer is about the other option, but to elaborate a bit: This space is stored in TM when translating with Trados 2007/2009, it is visible when you export the TM into TXT format and open that exported file (for example "a\~file" instead of "a file"). So this is assumably an issue with the TMX format.

I'm especially concerned about this because if TMX format really does preserve these spaces, one cannot convert the legacy Trados 2007 TMs into Trados 2009 without losing this formatting element (as Trados 2009 does not support TXT memory format; the workaround would be to update the TM via old bilingual files, but that is apparently an "impossible mission").

Therefore I would like to know if these non-breaking spaces are not stored in TMX by default (or is it just some conicidence that it does not work in my colleague's / my case), and if so then eventually how to transfer the Trados 2007 TMs to Trados 2009 with these spaces.

Thanks for any hints.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Need to check Apr 6, 2011

I'm sure TMX supports non-breaking spaces. The standard can't be that daft.
From a technical standpoint, I know for a fact that it doesn't support the   character entity, but there is no reason why it wouldn't support a literal non-breaking space character, which exists in Unicode text files, or  , which should work just as well and be read as a nbsp by all CAT tools.

Technical minutiae aside, what is the actual output you're getting? Are nbsp's being replaced by normal spaces? Left out? Are they perhaps at the start and end of segments? How do you know there were non-breaking spaces in the text? How do you know they aren't there after exporting?

Encoding nbsp with \~ is... well... nonstandard, and a poor solution to say the least. That's all I can say without the moderators taking issue. You shouldn't be surprised that you don't find \~ in a TMX file when you open it with a text editor. In TMX files you can expect to see either   or an actual space, which behaves as a non-breaking space. Of course you might as well just test this in a real situation instead of trying to guess what a nbsp should look like in TMX: "translate" a segment with your CAT tool in a Word document by applying a TM hit with a nbsp in it, then generate the target file, open it in Word and check if the nbsp is conserved. That's what matters after all.

[Edited at 2011-04-06 17:51 GMT]

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
... Apr 6, 2011

I experimentized again and it is OK when re-importing my own TMX export. So sorry for this false "alarm". What alerted me earlier was that there was no special character for that when viewing in Notepad.

But still it does not work for Trados 2009 exported TMX memory used for translation in Trados 2007 where there should be the non-breaking spaces (based on what my colleague said). Well but I would play with this a bit more later and get back here if I observe some problems with 2007 x 2009 transfers again.

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does TMX memory export (import) format support hard breaks?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search