Thread poster: Kate White

Kate White
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2011

Dear all,

I am a novice at Trados 2007 and I am doing a large project in it at the moment and required to produce the bilingual file. I delivered the first part the other day and my client commented that the editor had asked that I pay more attention to the format. As far as I know, I left the format the way it was originally so now I am wondering if it is something to do with Trados that I do not know about. I had to press the fix document button several times, could this be it? I have Word 2007.

All help appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kate

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:54
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Use TagEditor Apr 5, 2011

Take a one hour rest and read the TagEditor section in the Trados manual. Pay special attention to the flowchart that shows you what to do if you wish to save the file as bilingual.

Do not work on Word. Open the Workbench, open the TagEditor function of Trados, and open the file.

If it is your first time using TagEditor, be very careful with all the tags (symbols, characters, etc.) that you will see; all those control the formatting. For me, the best way is to copy the segment from source, and then replace the text portion observing the location of the tags and trying to maintain it.

----

If you do not feel comfortable trying new stuff in the middle of a job, pay attention because some things Trados will not do automatically. Watch if the text font changes when you type on the target segment. Sometimes when that happens I copy the source, position the cursor at the beginning of the target segment, delete the text, and translate. Alternatively, you may print the translated document, print the original, compare them, reopen the document and fix any differences.

Kate White
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you change the format manually in word? Apr 5, 2011

Thanks Luisa, I will do that definitely, that's a big help to orientate me.

Just a quick question - I have done a part of the translation already in word - can I just go through it manually by hiding the text and change any wrong formatting? Will the file still be ok in the bilingual version.

I realise these are basic questions, but I am still getting used to using it!

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Two approaches Apr 5, 2011

There are 2 approaches to this, first:
Kate White wrote:
. . . the editor had asked that I pay more attention to the format.

You are a translator, not an editor. You provide the words, the editor provides the format. Tell your customer to speak to the editor.

But that is not very diplomatic. The second approach is:
Explain to your customer that Trados 2007 pays attention to styles in Word, but not to manual formatting superimposed on styles. That may affect the appearance of your document. The answer here is to use TagEditor or Trados Studio. But explain to your customer that it is in everybody's interest to use Word properly, with styles, not messy manual formatting..

If you are determined to use Trados 2007, then for the sake of a good relationship with your customer you may have to do some tidying up.

Kate White
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 Apr 5, 2011

Thanks Peter. I did ask if I could use Trados Studio as I am more accustomed to this, but my client only has Trados 2007 and asked for the bilingual file. I know there is some way of converting it but I didn't want to complicate matters further.

I have followed up with the client and it seems to be just some issues with bullet points etc, which I am thinking of correcting manually, as you say to maintain good relations!

Thanks again,

Kate

Kate White
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Undo hidden text but some of original source still there. Apr 5, 2011

Hi again,

I am trying to sort out the formatting on the word document but when I undo "hidden text" there are some parts where the original source text is still there. Has anyone else had this problem and knows how to solve this?

In addition, I have just realised that when you amend it manually, you can not then go back to using the bilingual file and amend it. Is there any way I can convert the word to tageditor, or would i have had to start it in this before?

Please help, I am trying to read about tageditor, but there are just some simple things I need to know first!

Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-04-05 14:51 GMT]

George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Probably the "fixed" sections Apr 5, 2011

Kate White wrote:

Hi again,

I am trying to sort out the formatting on the word document but when I undo "hidden text" there are some parts where the original source text is still there. Has anyone else had this problem and knows how to solve this?

If you've used the "Fix Document" function in Word, it is likely that has caused this problem. You will probably be able to see the little purple start and end tags around the source and/or translation of these sections. There are probably one or two missing. It's just a case of finding which ones aren't there, and then copying and pasting them from another, correctly functioning segment. This should repair that part of the document (so that the source disappears when you switch off hidden text).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 Formatting Problems

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search