Thread poster: KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO

KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

Dear all,

I'm working on a word doc using SDL Trados Studio 2009. I've had quite a few problems with the TM .
This one is as follows: tm does not contain any translation unit

While translating in editor frame, it seems all all right, tm seems to perform correctly, but when I try to export it (to share with a fellow translator) nothing happens , no translation unit in the tm.

Very grateful of any hints you can provide.

thanks!
Karis I.D.

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Did you confirm the segments? Apr 8, 2011

If your TM does not contain any TUs, one possible reason is that you did not confirm the translated segments. Another one is that you use a project TM and did not finalize the project.
Please check that the 'Update' checkmark for your TM is ticked, then finalize your project (Batch Tasks - Finalize). This should definitely update your TM.

Walter

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Main TM vs. Project TM Apr 8, 2011

Hello Karis,
it seems like you are working with the project TM and you didn't update your main TM before the export.

1. Go the the Project View and select "Batch Tasks > Update Main TM".
2. Export your main TM into TMX from within the Translation Memory View.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Do NOT finalize Apr 8, 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:

If your TM does not contain any TUs, one possible reason is that you did not confirm the translated segments. Another one is that you use a project TM and did not finalize the project.
Please check that the 'Update' checkmark for your TM is ticked, then finalize your project (Batch Tasks - Finalize). This should definitely update your TM.

Walter

Do NOT finalize your project unless it is completely finished. Just update your main TM.

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
finalizing Apr 8, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Walter Blaser wrote:

Walter

Do NOT finalize your project unless it is completely finished. Just update your main TM.

Thank Stanislav and Walter!. I will pinpoint mu actions
1. I did confirm all translated segments
2. I'm not done with the translation, can I finalize the project even if I'm not done?
3. 'update' is ticked

yet nothing has changed as of now...

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Update the Main TM Apr 8, 2011

Hello Karis,
update the main TM. That should help. If you finalize your project while still only halfway through it, any double click on any file will open the file in the editor associated with it (e.g. DOC files in Word).

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
updating TM Apr 9, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hello Karis,
update the main TM. That should help. If you finalize your project while still only halfway through it, any double click on any file will open the file in the editor associated with it (e.g. DOC files in Word).

Hello Stanislav,
thank you again for your hints. I did update also my main TM and that helped , though I'm not sure whether finalizing while half way is a good move ..
still, when trying to export my tm , nothing is being exported , again noTU is detected..

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Finalize only at the end Apr 10, 2011

KARIS ISABELLA DAVOGLIO wrote:
Hello Stanislav,
thank you again for your hints. I did update also my main TM and that helped , though I'm not sure whether finalizing while half way is a good move ..

You should only finalize when you are done with the project. If you want to update the main TM while the project is ongoing, use the command 'Batch Task - Update Main Translation Memories'.

still, when trying to export my tm , nothing is being exported , again noTU is detected..

Are you doing a filtered export? You can check how many TUs your TM contains by going to 'Settings" for that TM. You can also look at the TUs in maintenance mode by opening the TM in the 'Translation Memory' view. If the TM contains TUs and you do an export without any filter (which is default), then you will for sure get a populated export file.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tm does not contain any translation unit

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search