Updating an existing memory in a running project.
Thread poster: robroy

robroy
Local time: 17:28
German to English
Apr 8, 2011

Hello,

My situation is as follows: my client sent me a file to translate, and the appropriate TM. So - oops, I'm using Studio 2009, SP3 - I set up a project with this file and this TM.
Now the client has sent me an updated TM (as a tmx file) and asked me to continue the translation, using the updated TM.
My question - where do I install it?
I can see 2 options:
(a) I click bottom left on Translation Memories, then right-click top left on Translation Memories, click Open Translation Memory, open the relevant TM, then right-click again and select Import. Question: does this update the TM that I am using in the project?
or (b) I click "project" in the menu bar, then Project Settings, All Language Pairs, then click the memory I want to update and click Import. Question: is the net result here the same as described in (a)? Or does (a) only update the memory as such but not the "running" version that is in the project?

Using method (a), I recently did not find segments that should have been there.

Thanks for any ideas.

Rob Roy

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Method c) Apr 8, 2011

Go to project folder, open the language subfolder of the folder called tm and double click the memory you'll find there.
This will open the memory in Studio for editing. Close the memory in the editor, then right click it in the navigation pane and select "Import". Import the TMX there. Only this way your project memory will get updated.

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy Apr 8, 2011

Who on earth would have thought that such a convoluted path would be necessary to solve what is surely a relatively simple problem that translators can be faced with practically every day? I really don't think my problem is very unusual.

Thank goodness we have people like Jerzy, who are not only experts but who are also willing to sacrifice their time to help others.

Thank you again, Jerzy!

Rob Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating an existing memory in a running project.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search