"Clean and unclean Trados files" - What does this mean?
Thread poster: Ashley Wans

Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

Hello,

An agency that I am freelancing for has requested I return translations for several documents in "clean and unclean Trados files". I am relatively new to using Trados. What does this mean?

Your help is greatly appreciated in figuring this out.

Direct link Reply with quote

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Unclean and Clean = bilingual and monolingual Apr 8, 2011

Ashley Wans wrote:
Hello,
An agency that I am freelancing for has requested I return translations for several documents in "clean and unclean Trados files". I am relatively new to using Trados. What does this mean?
Your help is greatly appreciated in figuring this out.

I use Wordfast which has exactly the same concept of Clean and Unclean. (In fact, Trados can"clean up" unclean files from wordfast.)
An "unclean" file is the document immediately after you have translated it: it contains both the source segments and your translation, marked by having different attributes and enclosed by special short character strings to label the source segments and the target segments.
A "clean" file is made from the unclean one (it's safer to keep a separate copy and clean it, so you still have the unclean one. Example: my unclean files are usually called
something-EnU.doc
and the cleaned copy is called
something-En.doc )
When I have finished a translation using WordFast, I make a copy of something-EnU.doc, rename the copy to something-En.doc, open it as if I were going to continue the translation, but use the Wordfast "cleanup" tool. Then when I've saved it, I have the clean and unclean versions. The clean version has all the special formats and characters removed and is a monolingual file, similar to the original one (which I still have, called something.doc) but in the target language.

HTH
Oliver

[Edited at 2011-04-08 22:18 GMT]

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful Apr 8, 2011

Thank you, Oliver. That information clarifies what the client is requesting from me.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:26
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Manuals Apr 8, 2011

Ashley, if you are new to Trados, per your own admission and per your inquiry about a basic feature of many CAT applications, my advice is to read the manuals thoroughly. Trados is a complex and complicated application; in fact, a user can even aspire to get certified. You will save yourself many future headaches if you read the manuals carefully.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice Apr 8, 2011

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

Ashley, if you are new to Trados, per your own admission and per your inquiry about a basic feature of many CAT applications, my advice is to read the manuals thoroughly. Trados is a complex and complicated application; in fact, a user can even aspire to get certified. You will save yourself many future headaches if you read the manuals carefully.

I am new, and I will bear that in mind and make sure to look over the manuals to make sure I create the best translation files that I can. I am looking forward to getting up to speed on this technology. Thanks for the input.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What an uncleaned file is Apr 9, 2011

Ashley Wans wrote:

It could mean many things, really. That is why it is essential that you double-check with the client what it is that he wants. He may think that the word "uncleaned" has only one meaning, but different clients mean different things by it.

1. The "cleaned" file is basically the final file in the final format (i.e. the same format as the original source file).

2. The "uncleaned" file is the file that contains both the source text and the translation in it. If the client hopes that you will use Trados 2007 with TagEditor, then the uncleaned file will be a TTX file. If the client hopes that you will use Trados 2007 without TagEditor, the uncleaned file will be an RTF or DOC file. If the client hopes that you will use Trados 2007, then the uncleaned file will be an SDLXLIFF file (or an XLIFF or XLF or XML file).

However:

If the source text format is something that contains columns or a table, with the source text in the left-hand column or in half of the table cells, and you have to type the translation in the other column or the other cells, then it could be that the "uncleaned" file is the file that contains the table or columns with the translation in it (but then I don't know what the "cleaned" file would be).

Ask the client specifically which files he wants to have as the uncleaned files -- does he want DOC, RTF, TTX, XLIFF or SDLXLIFF? If he doesn't know, and simply repeats that he wants an "uncleaned" file, then the safest bet may be to use TagEditor (Trados 2007, i.e. TTX files).

laurash2610
Brazil
Local time: 19:26
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The bak files are not biliingual Jul 29, 2011

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to get an unclean file of my translation using Workbench.

I translated the word file, saved it then on workbench i cleaned it. So I got a clean word file (translated) and a BAK file, which is also translated. I thought this bak file would be bilingual. I have no idea how to get the uncleaned file then, as the client asked for it.

Another doubt, if I use tagEditor to do it, will I be able to open the source file, as it's a word one? Would it be easier to get the uncleaned file?

Thank you

Laura

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:26
English
Open the BAK in MS Word and show... Jul 29, 2011

... formatting marks. Then you should see the source and target together with all the Trados tags separating them.

Regards

Paul

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word+Trados workflow Jul 29, 2011

laurash2610 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to get an unclean file of my translation using Workbench.

I translated the word file, saved it then on workbench i cleaned it. So I got a clean word file (translated) and a BAK file, which is also translated. I thought this bak file would be bilingual. I have no idea how to get the uncleaned file then, as the client asked for it.

Another doubt, if I use tagEditor to do it, will I be able to open the source file, as it's a word one? Would it be easier to get the uncleaned file?

Thank you

Laura

Hi Laura,
If you're working in Word, simply do this:

1. Open source file in Word
2. Translate using Trados Workbench
3. Save your file. This is the UNCLEAN file. As suggested above, you may save it with "U" or "Unclean" at the end.
4. Don't close your file from #3 above, simply save it with a different name or ending. For example, "Clean" or "ES" (for Spanish, for example). This will be your clean file, but it's not clean yet. You will clean it in step 5.
5. Close the file you saved in step 4.
6. Go to Workbench --> Tools -- > Clean Up --> Add and choose the file you created in Step 4. Click on Clean Up.

And that's it, your deliverables are:

- The file you saved in step 3 (unclean)
- The file you saved in step 4 (clean)

These two files may look identical at first glance, but if you activate Word's feature to show hidden characters, as suggested by Paul above, you will see that the unclean file has all the Trados tags in it.

Regarding your question about TagEditor, you can definitely open a Word file in TagEditor, but the "unclean" file produced by TagEditor is a TTX file, not a DOC or DOCX file. Unless the client specifically requested this, I would not go this route.

[Edited at 2011-07-29 23:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Clean and unclean Trados files" - What does this mean?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search