Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:56
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2011

Hi there,

I just started to work with SDL Trados Studio 2009 and cannot find the following settings in the documentation:
a) Where can I insert variables (as placeables) such as company names or special abbreviations?
In path "Tools => Options => Language pairs" I can find the location to switch on and off the "Automatic translation" of variables but where can I enter the variables?

b) The font colour in my editor window is in red. Where can I change it to black?
In path "Tools => Options => Colours", I have activated "Text colour" => "Windows text" but the font colour appears still in red.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Holger

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change the language ressources of the TM Apr 10, 2011

The variables list is in the language ressources of any TM.
To change those go to TM settings, chose language ressources, then double click the variables list and enter the variables as desired.
As I have had variables in Trados 2007 I upgraded TMs in a way to keep the variables - far less work, then entering everything from scratch.
Text colour in the editor is typically inherited from source formatting.
In my opinion the best way to work with Studio is however to switch all the formating completely off. To do so, go to Tools - Options - Editor and chose "Show all tags but do not show formatting".

Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where can I find the TM settings? Apr 10, 2011

Hello Jerzy!

Thanks for your help! I still struggle to find the TM settings. So far I searched in the Project settings and also under Tools => Options => language pair. But I cannot find the variables list or a possibility to create a variables list (perhaps I should note that I haven't created a list yet - I'm working on a new project and have received a "package").
But I was able to solve the colour issue - thank you!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need to change to TM View Apr 10, 2011

where you then open the TMs. After opening the TM close it in the TM editor view and right click its name in the navigation pane. There you'll find the settings and the resticon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question on Placeables and font colour in Studio 2009

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search