How do I know that Autosuggest is working?
Thread poster: Huw Watkins

Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:09
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2011

Hi Guys,

Apologies for what is probably a very basic question and at the risk of looking foolish, I have a query about Autosuggest.

I have recently started using SDL Trados Studio 2009 and even more recently (today) Autosuggest. I activated my autosuggest creater add-on licence, I managed to create an IT-EN dictionary from all my TMs combined (a lot more than 25,000 units, more like 3 times that) and I have downloaded the eu-it-en-us-it-it.bpm from the translation zone free downloads section. I have also enabled AutoSuggest in Tools>Options in Studio.

This morning I created a project in the usual way, adding files, TMs and TBs, however I couldn't see any option to point to and select the language specific autosuggest dictionaries (I also do other language pairs - also in the autosuggest dictionaries folder).

Here is where the stupidity begins... In the past I have been 'autosuggested' words, which I realised were from my termbase and I am assuming that this is the autosuggest add-on in action. However today I am not really getting suggested that many words and all still seem to be from my termbases as far as I can tell. How do I know that my AutoSuggest dictionaries are active and up and running in Studio?

I really feel that autosuggest should be offering me more than it is with those two very substantial dictionaries. Am I missing something very basic? Do I need to be adding AutoSuggest dictionaries to my project? If so, how? Am I just expecting too much after reading all these wonderful tales of a 30%+ gain in translation time?

I'm sure it's something basic, however as this is an add-on, I am assuming that Studio will know which dictionaries to use for the project automatically. Is this not correct? Do I need to be doing something to squeeze some life out of Studio and AutoSuggest?

Any help would be appreciated.

Huw

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:09
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Add your A/S dict Apr 11, 2011

Go to project settings>(your lang pairs)>autosuggest dictionaries>add

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 11, 2011

I knew it must have been something simple (a bit like me ). Thank you so much - I'm still learning to navigate 2009. Now for the 30% time saving...

Huw

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it just me or... Apr 11, 2011

...is it a bit strange that the EU AutoSuggest dictionary is US-EN? Also, and I'm sure this has been asked before, has anyone worked out how to reverse the language pairs in those translationzone EU Dictionaries or are English natives excluded from those privileges? Perhaps this is some sort of perverse punishment for our continued refusal to adopt the Euro? What say ye?

[Edited at 2011-04-11 11:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-11 11:25 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The icon tells you where the autosuggested text comes from Apr 11, 2011

Huw Watkins wrote:

In the past I have been 'autosuggested' words, which I realised were from my termbase and I am assuming that this is the autosuggest add-on in action. However today I am not really getting suggested that many words and all still seem to be from my termbases as far as I can tell. How do I know that my AutoSuggest dictionaries are active and up and running in Studio?

When AutoSuggest comes into action while you are typing in the target segment, the icon in front of the text will tell you where the string comes from: the green-yellow disk stands for AutoSuggest dictionary, the bluish-grey one for termbase and the grey tablet for Autotext entries.

Walter

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Autotext Entries? Apr 11, 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:

When AutoSuggest comes into action while you are typing in the target segment, the icon in front of the text will tell you where the string comes from: the green-yellow disk stands for AutoSuggest dictionary, the bluish-grey one for termbase and the grey tablet for Autotext entries.

Walter

Thank you Walter!

Could I impose on you a little further to enquire as to how one creates / uses autotext entries?

[Edited at 2011-04-11 12:48 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
autotext Apr 11, 2011

Options>Autosuggest>autotext>enter your text

It's quite useful if you have several words in a row that come up frequently in a particular translation. For instance, I've just added "total knee replacement" because I've seen that it's going to come up a lot in my text. Then I start typing "total" and the rest comes up automatically (that's because I've set "show suggestions which have "5" or more characters in the autosuggest settings.)

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I know that Autosuggest is working?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search