Thread poster: Simon Bruni

Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:29
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Apr 12, 2011

Dear colleagues

There has been one thing that has been bugging me since I acquired Studio 2009, which is the system it has that creates multiple files every time you translate a document. As far as I can tell, every time you open a file and translate it in Studio 2009, you end up with four files (the original, the bilingual document, the 'project file' and the target text), plus a folder which contains another folder which contains another 39 files!

Now, I suppose this isn't normally a problem, particularly, except that, since I have a regular on-going project that consists of a large number of short texts sent to me throughout the month, if I were to migrate to Studio 2009 for this project (I haven't yet for this very reason), I would end up with thousands of files and folders. For this particular project I receive between 75 and 150 files for translation each month, which I store in monthly folders because I invoice monthly. This means I would end up with up to 600 files in the project folder, plus all the (seemingly pointless) project file folders each with their 39 files.

Is this really how Studio is designed to work? It would make it very difficult for me when it comes to storage (I use a 4 GB pen drive so I can swap between machines and travel) and when referring back to documents. At the moment the issue is keeping me from using Studio for this on-going project, which constitutes the bulk of my work.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

With best wishes
Simon

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:29
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is the design Apr 12, 2011

Sorry, for the time being this is how Studio works.
But may I advice you to use a mobile hard drive instead of this ridiculously small and also slow pen drive?
I have similar situation to yours, so my current design consists of a desktop PC (450 GB storage), a NAS storage (2 TB) and a mobile external HDD with eSata connection (500 GB), which is then synchronized with desktop solution and used with the laptop (256 GB storage).
My project files are on the NAS, which is 1:1 synchronized with the mobile HDD. My translation memories and termbases are on local HDD on the desktop, which is then 1:1 synchronized with the laptop. Desktop uses D:\ for TMs and Q:\ for project files, while laptop uses D:\ for TMs and M:\ for project files. To synchronize both I also copy the Projects.xml file from SDL Trados Studio folder in the Documents part of Win7 Libraries to the corresponding folder of the another PD and replace the drive letter in that file with the corresponding one (M for mobile, Q for desktop).
Works very well.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:29
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Can you glue the files into one? Apr 12, 2011

This was possible in Synergy (Trados 2007).

Creating lots of files is really counterproductive. Every time your AntiVirus package scans the computer it has to scan each single file.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Delete the file types you don't use Apr 12, 2011

If space is a problem, then you can simply delete all the file types you don't want in any project. You could just keep one file type so long as you don't want to add a different file format to that project later.

This was discussed in quite a heated discussion here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176305-what_are_project_files_and_why_does_trados_studio_2009_create_them.html

Ktotud
Local time: 08:29
Russian to Arabic
+ ...
No multiple project files Apr 13, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

If space is a problem, then you can simply delete all the file types you don't want in any project. You could just keep one file type so long as you don't want to add a different file format to that project later.

+1

Moreover, you can just create a separate project with all the settings you need (TM, TB, filetypes, etc.) and keep it on you disk.
In this case, you open this project and add new files or folders directly into it (instead of 'Open document').
As a result you will have a single project file rather than multiple ones that would be created every time as if you start a new project

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
how it works Apr 13, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Sorry, for the time being this is how Studio works.

It is, but that doesn't mean it's not worth pointing out how poorly designed this behaviour is.
For instance, SDL Support proudly announced that Studio can create target files from the sdlxliff alone; there is no need to have the original input file. In the light of that, it's particularly daft that Studio copies the input file to the project's input language folder. You already have your input file on your disk wherever you placed it, there is no need for the software to create random extra copies - which most users have no clue about and no use for. And of course there are all the useless copies of the input filters etc. It's comical, really. SDL Support did promise that this area will be reworked, hopefully with a more sensible approach.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:29
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's great! I thought I was the only one who believed there are so many files! Apr 14, 2011

The same here! I really think that Studio creates some many files...

For instance, every project created (for translating, let's say, 2 *.docx files) creates a folder named "File types" and it includes every single file formats Studio is able to translate (39 files, what for?) I do not need to see that (or is there a reason, for me, as a translator, that might explain their presence there?).

I don't understand, either, why both the source folder and the target folder include a SDL xliff file for every file to be translated. (Which is the one I translate when I click on the file to edit?)

Recently, I also discovered that 2 translation memories were created (I believe it was Jerzy who explained me the purpose of the second translation memory, but actually I disabled it. I do not think comfortable updating all the translation memories).

I have created tow Language resources templates, but I don't know to which TM they are associated, and in fact, I ignore where the template were stored. There are too many folders to loock for it! I've found one, located at the "Language resources template", but where is the second one?

In few words: 1 file to translate
Is transformed into
4 folders (source language folder, target language folder, file types and reports) + 1 project file; the source language folder contains the original file + a sdl xliff; the target language... and so on...)

4 folders + 44 files (including the target file)!

I wish Studio would only allow me to see only the files I can work with.

Kind regards

Clarisa

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Live with it! Apr 14, 2011

This has been going ever since Studio 2009 exists, there have been numerous complaints about it in these fora, and in two years nothing has changed. So I reckon you have to live with it if you chose Studio 2009 as your main tool.

If you ask me, this is simply bad design, but the developers fail to recognise it as shown in the responses to other fora about the same matter.

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Or live without it! Apr 14, 2011

http://kilgray.com/products/memoq

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Projects Apr 14, 2011

If you have multiple files, create a project instead of opening them individually for translation. It streamlines the process and reduces the number of files: you will have a folder with the project file, the file types, the source language and the target language. Actually mostly like this because I have a record of both the source and the target separate and yet together.

but when I first started using Studio I was opening each file and it was terrible because it created a project for each indivdiual file. Now, creating a project, they are all together and take up a lot less space. Of course, after delivering the translation, when it is all over and done, you can delete the file with the file types and just keep the translation.

Eugenia K.
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
no problem Apr 14, 2011

I don't see a problem here. I chose TRADOS Studio because it's quite good for small-scale project management. I organized it in a way that I have a separate project for every client I have. So I receive files, translate them, sign them off and finalize them. When I receive new files, I add them to the same project. So even TMs stay just as they are supposed to be and all settings remain the same, as usually they don't change for a particular client. As the result I get a very structured tree of folders, for source files, for finalized and for TM. Finding a document is only a matter of a second. So, on my hard drive I created a folder "REPOSITORY" where I save all my projects. This is how it looks for example for client "GREAT CLIENT LTD" - Repository--------GREAT CLIENT LTD------2011-2012 (I structure according to tax year)------Plus all trados folders.

Very convenient.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 and its ridiculous amount of files

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search