Problems converting .tmw memory to .mdb
Thread poster: Paul Adie

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 12, 2011

Dear ProZians,

I'm having trouble converting a memory from .tmw (Trados 7) to .mdb (SDLX 2007). I have a .tmw memory and converted it to .mdb (firstly exported the .tmw as a .txt, then imported in SDLX Maintain) as I need to use SDLX 2007 for a large project. I had hoped to use an old memory for this job, but now it seems I can't use it as the files (prepared by a client) are in Latin American Spanish, and my memory is in Spanish Spanish (this sounds horrid). Also, after conversion, when I open up the memory in SDLX Maintain, there are no accents, just bits of code where letters such as á, é, and ñ should be.

I'm not expecting there to be any exact matches, but I would really like to use the old memory for concordance searches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy translating!

Paul.

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:03
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TMX Apr 13, 2011

This is why the TMX standard was developed. Try this:

In Trados 7 Workbench, export to "Save as type" tMX 1.4b (*.tmx)
Load the TMX file into a text editor such as Notepad++
Look for : but in your appropriate version of Spanish and check whether source or target. Amend so that languages are the ones you want. Save.

For example, I translate from Swedish to English_GB. I see:
and
If I needed my target to be EN-US, I simply amend EN-GB to EN-US.

Then import into SDLX.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems converting .tmw memory to .mdb

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search