Problems converting .tmw memory to .mdb
Thread poster: Paul Adie

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 12, 2011

Dear ProZians,

I'm having trouble converting a memory from .tmw (Trados 7) to .mdb (SDLX 2007). I have a .tmw memory and converted it to .mdb (firstly exported the .tmw as a .txt, then imported in SDLX Maintain) as I need to use SDLX 2007 for a large project. I had hoped to use an old memory for this job, but now it seems I can't use it as the files (prepared by a client) are in Latin American Spanish, and my memory is in Spanish Spanish (this sounds horrid). Also, after conversion, when I open up the memory in SDLX Maintain, there are no accents, just bits of code where letters such as á, é, and ñ should be.

I'm not expecting there to be any exact matches, but I would really like to use the old memory for concordance searches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy translating!

Paul.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
Swedish to English
+ ...
TMX Apr 13, 2011

This is why the TMX standard was developed. Try this:

In Trados 7 Workbench, export to "Save as type" tMX 1.4b (*.tmx)
Load the TMX file into a text editor such as Notepad++
Look for : but in your appropriate version of Spanish and check whether source or target. Amend so that languages are the ones you want. Save.

For example, I translate from Swedish to English_GB. I see:
and
If I needed my target to be EN-US, I simply amend EN-GB to EN-US.

Then import into SDLX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems converting .tmw memory to .mdb

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search