Thread poster: Helga Humlova

Helga Humlova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 13, 2011

Hi everybody

I have 2 laptops (both Win7 + Trados 2007).
Usually both are running, one being my "private/personal" machine, one the "slave" (the job machine).

Since I found it highly unpractical to move files from one machine to the other by means of copying them to a stick, I played with the Network function in Win 7 and found a way to connect my to machines so that I can access with both machines the files being located on the other machine. How nice I thought, it works. That´s great. I was happy for about 2 weeks or so.
NO! Don´t ask me what I´ve done - I don´t know any more, I played around about 4 hours or so, and at once it worked.....

Yesterday I wasn´t happy anymore. I moved from one machine to the other and - apparently for no reason - or with other words - I am not aware that I changed anything in the configuration of my machines - machine A told me that Trados will now shut down because "in any one Network there is only allowed one Running Trados".
Well, Trados was not running on the other machine at this moment (I double checked!). To be totally safe, I even returned the licence for the other machine to be absolutely sure it is not running.
Result: Machine A still said Trados only allowed on one machine, will now shut down. AND when checking Translationzone.com - my account I found that even though I had returned 1 licence it did not show there to be returned. Now I cannot even re-activate trados on machine B because I have no licence left - GREAT! I´m thrilled!

Next step: I tried to cut all Network functions to have two "stand-alone-machines".
Now I am not able to see the files on the other machines, so I managed to cut the connection, at least I think so. BUT on machine B (private/personal), which is connected to the Internet via Wifi, it shows that this connection runs via machine A. Why? I don´t know. I didn´t tell this stupid thing to do that. I wanted to establish a stand-alone-connection, but it only shows options via one of three different Networks (home, workspace, office - or however they are called in English, my machine talks German).

I found the only work-around for the moment is to cut the Internet connection on machine B. this way I have Trados on machine A - at least something. Still this is not satisfactory.

Questions:
How can I
a) connect both machines to the Internet as stand-alone-machines?
b) how am I supposed to connect the two machines so that they are not within a network that Trados is not satisfied with (at some point Trados said something about "allowed only in ???? networks - can´t remember the term used).

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter!
Helga (totally frustrated)

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 08:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
Change work group name Apr 13, 2011

For the Freelance version of Trados you are not allowed to work with two computers in one network. However in Windows it is very easy to change the work group name so it is not the same.
As far as I know that does not influence your ability to share files etc.
Just Google how to change your workgroup name, normally it is called "workgroup" but if you just change it to "workgroup1" on one computer that will do the trick.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:25
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed Apr 13, 2011

wilmer-brouwer wrote:

For the Freelance version of Trados you are not allowed to work with two computers in one network. However in Windows it is very easy to change the work group name so it is not the same.
As far as I know that does not influence your ability to share files etc.
Just Google how to change your workgroup name, normally it is called "workgroup" but if you just change it to "workgroup1" on one computer that will do the trick.

This is a common trick that should resolve your issues, Helga.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Win7 + Trados on 2 machines - network issue

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search