https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/196781-sdl_trados_psma_contracts.html

SDL Trados PSMA contracts
Thread poster: Chris Dawe
Chris Dawe
Chris Dawe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2011

Does anyone know if SDL have stopped providing support to those who do not have PSMA contracts? It seems that they have. Thanks, Chris.

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
Italian to English
Don't know Apr 14, 2011

I don't know the answer to your question but I must say that my SDL service contract is the best money I have ever spent. They have always responded, answered my questions, resolved my problems. I really think having a contract is the best way to go.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
On support Apr 14, 2011

As far as I know, all SDL Trados users are eligible for free support on installation and licensing issues. Any other issues will only be resolved under the PSMA.

In addition to this, the SDL Support staff are monitoring this and other forums and provide as much help as possible.

[Upraveno: 2011-04-14 20:51 GMT]

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PSMAs Apr 14, 2011

Thanks Eileen, yes, I'm sure you're quite right and with the PSMA you get all the updates too. Stanislav, yes, you've confirmed my suspicions that they now no longer provide technical support to users without PSMAs. Cheers, Chris.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A small clarification Apr 14, 2011

Chris Dawe wrote:

...you get all the updates too.

Just to clarify: all updates are free. What you have to pay for (or receive free under the PSMA) are upgrades.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It is like this since quite a while Apr 15, 2011

Chris Dawe wrote:

Thanks Eileen, yes, I'm sure you're quite right and with the PSMA you get all the updates too. Stanislav, yes, you've confirmed my suspicions that they now no longer provide technical support to users without PSMAs. Cheers, Chris.

SDL has stopped providing free technical support (through the ticketing system and by phone) more than a year ago (if not two!). They did this because the volume of requests was simply to high to be handled. In doing this, they are inline with most large software companies who also do not provide any free technical support.
Users can still get free support for licensing issues though, through the Knowledgebase website (kb.sdl.com).

I join Eileen in stating that a PSMA is a good investment, especially for freelancers because for the low amount of 20% of the SW value (which for a freelance version is less than 200 euros a year), you get not only support, but also all upgrades free of charge as long as your PSMA runs. If you face one major problem a year where SDL support can help you solve the problem and go on working on your translation job instead of loosing a few hours of work, your investment has already paid off.

Walter

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forking out the pennies Apr 15, 2011

Thanks very much Walter. The last time I approached them (without a PSMA) was last May, when I had an issue installing Trados 2007 Freelance on a Windows Vista machine. It took them a couple of days to get back to me, but they must have closed the door shortly after that I guess. Yes, I'll have to put some pennies in the piggy bank and invest in a new contract, it will probably be one of the best investments I'll have made.....kiss good-bye to sleepless nights! Cheers, Chris.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
free installation and licensing support Apr 15, 2011

Chris Dawe wrote:

I had an issue installing Trados 2007 Freelance on a Windows Vista machine.

Just to clarify (and confirm what Stanislav said earlier), SDL provides free installation and licensing support for anyone who buys their software regardless or whether or not they have PSMA support.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I am not so sure about the value of PSMA Apr 15, 2011

I am still waiting for a reply to a "medium" level problem I reported well over a week ago. In fact the last four problems I had were all resolved later than they should or at least much later than I needed them to be solved. And if a problem is pressing to you, that does not necessarily mean that it will be deemed as pressing to SDL so chances are you will have to sort it all out by yourself anyhow before SDL gets back to you. At least that unfortunately has been my experience.

As
... See more
I am still waiting for a reply to a "medium" level problem I reported well over a week ago. In fact the last four problems I had were all resolved later than they should or at least much later than I needed them to be solved. And if a problem is pressing to you, that does not necessarily mean that it will be deemed as pressing to SDL so chances are you will have to sort it all out by yourself anyhow before SDL gets back to you. At least that unfortunately has been my experience.

As to the upgrades - when the sales lady impressed on me the necessity to purchase the said agreement and I mentioned that I would rather wait for a few months so that my agreement would cover the next upgrade, she swore blind that there will be an upgrade within the next few months and that all my problems will be solved in no time. Obviously it was a bit green of me to believe her but believe her I did... My mistake. So in my case the second level PSMA has not proved to be that useful.

Ines
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
same here Apr 15, 2011

Ines,

I generally agree with your impression that a PSMA is not as useful as it sounds, but I nonetheless consider it helpful.

Burrell wrote:

As to the upgrades - when the sales lady impressed on me the necessity to purchase the said agreement and I mentioned that I would rather wait for a few months so that my agreement would cover the next upgrade, she swore blind that there will be an upgrade within the next few months ...

My sales contact went in a similar manner ...

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Saying Apr 15, 2011

Chris Dawe wrote:
Yes, I'll have to put some pennies in the piggy bank and invest in a new contract, it will probably be one of the best investments I'll have made...

Somehow, this reminds me the old saying: "Communism is great at solving problems which other systems do not even create."

Chris Dawe
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blind faith? Apr 15, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

Chris Dawe wrote:
Yes, I'll have to put some pennies in the piggy bank and invest in a new contract, it will probably be one of the best investments I'll have made...

Somehow, this reminds me the old saying: "Communism is great at solving problems which other systems do not even create."

Hard for me to comment, since Trados is the only CAT tool I have used and is still the market leader........I could well invest in a different CAT tool, only to have agencies tell me they don't support its use. Catch-22.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados PSMA contracts

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »